Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a miscarriage 5 weeks ago and I recently just got my…

I have a miscarriage...

I have a miscarriage 5 weeks ago and I recently just got my period is it typical after having a miscarriage for your first period to be really heavy I also sick. Is it possible that I didn't bleed out everything completely?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you in any pain? How regular are your periods?

Not much pain just a achy back and there are around 36 to 38 days apart I also have PCOS

3/8/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

I'm so sorry about your miscarriage. How frustrating.

It is pretty normal for that first period after a miscarriage to be very heavy and crampy. It is really unlikely that there's anything left from the pregnancy. If you wanted to be sure, you could take a pregnancy test. By 5 weeks out from your miscarriage, all your pregnancy hormone should be gone by now (if all the pregnancy tissue is gone too) and the test should be negative.

Just checking in to see how you were doing today.

If you are satisfied with the response received, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you and I wish you all the best.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD