Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I misquoted our area's hiv prevelance from our previous

I misquoted our area's hiv...
I misquoted our area's hiv prevelance from our previous coversation ...it's .11 in the cities and .18 for the county. This may seem trivial but is that considered high?
3/8/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Could you clarify the rate? HIV prevalence is usually stated as the number of cases per 100,000 population. So, is the prevalence in the county 0.18 cases per 100,000 population?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm sorry. Within he county it's 270 cases out 154,000 and in the cities in the county it's 335 out of a population 298,000

I went back and reviewed our previous conversation, and you said that the prevalence was 0.10, and I interpreted that as the usual method for stating prevalence, i.e., 0.10 cases per 100,000 population.

This data seems wrong. The cities in the US with the highest HIV prevalence rates have rates of 20-45 cases per 100,000. 335 cases out of a population of 298,000 would be a prevalence rate of 112 cases per 100,000, which is 2.5 times higher than the highest rate in the most recent national HIV report. The 270 cases in a population of 154,000 would be a prevalence of 175 cases per 100,000 population, which is 4 times higher than the highest rate in the most recent national HIV report.

Could someone have given you inaccurate information?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
This is where I found it.Peoria County, IL | HIV Prevalence
This data is from the CDC's NCHHSTP 2012 Atlas : http://www.cdc.gov/NCHHSTP/Atlas/Peoria County, IL | HIV Prevalence
This data is from the CDC's NCHHSTP 2012 Atlas : http://www.cdc.gov/NCHHSTP/Atlas/Search for Locations like:Cities
Total Population Number of People with HIV % of Population with HIV
City Total Population Number of People with HIV % of Population with HIV
Peoria, IL, 298471 335 0.11%CountiesCounty Total Population Number of People with HIV % of Population with HIV
Peoria County, IL 154138 270 0.18%
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I think I must be mixing up the total number of cases vs. new cases on a yearly basis.

It is not you, but that is the source of the confusion. I searched for the most recent data on prevalence and got the numbers that I quoted above, but when these numbers did not agree, I dug deeper, and the numbers that were reported on another web site must have been reporting new cases. The rate of new cases should be called incidence, while prevalence refers to all people with the diagnosis.

Using the data from the same resource, the NCHHSTP Atlas, the average prevalence cross the US is 364 cases per 100,000 population and the average prevalence for Illinois is 310 cases per 100,000 population. So, the local prevalence rates of 112 and 175 are significantly better than average.

Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Did your risk assessment change with my incident, am I being overly anxious?

No, this does not change your risk assessment. You are still in a community with a relatively low prevalence of HIV. It is not as low as the 0.10, but it is still significantly low compared to general prevalence.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Does this concur with your assessment as before? The current national guideline is that it is not necessary to be tested after such an encounter

Yes, that is correct.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor