Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am 28, and had a sudden onset of pain and selling in my…

Customer Question
I am 28, and...

I am 28, and had a sudden onset of pain and selling in my joints. Starting in my wrists then hands, then feet/ankles, knees, elbows. I was fine one day and not the next. And all of this has come on within the last three or so weeks. What could this be?

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Yes, my hands have been swollen the whole time. My feet, ankles and wrists are swollen too.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Kidney issues, chronic non-aura migraines, poor circulation, and fast heart rate.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/8/2018
Doctor: Dr. Sohaib, Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

You are having polyarthritis, and the most common cause for this is viral infections, and this may persist for up to 4 and at times up to 6 weeks.

The next common cause for this is Connective tissue disorders like SLE or Rheumatoid arthritis.

I will suggest you to have this examined clinically by your doctor, and have some basic labs done including CBC/ESR/CRP and ANA/RA factor to make sure a significant pathology like RA/SLE is not missed.

Meanwhile you can use Motrin or Aleve for pain control with Tylenol added if the pain is severe.

Are those common for someone my age?

Yes, this is common at your age.

And viral polyarthritis can occur at any age.

Was it helpful?