Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My 3 year old son has trouble straightening his left thumb.

My 3 year old...

My 3 year old son has trouble straightening his left thumb. Specially the top portion of his thumb.

Doctor's Assistant: How have your child's checkups gone? Is your child progressing steadily in height and weight?

Yes

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in the child's medical history you think the doctor should know?

Fortunately he is a very healthy kid

3/8/2018
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Can you move it yourself passively or is there pain or discomfort when doing so?

Do you have an image of what the thumb looks like that you could upload here?

Thank you, I took a picture of his thumb
He can move it, I notice there was something wrong when I saw him doing a thumbs up sign and the figer wasn’t bending as normal. I can straighten it by massaging it. I can feel a pop sometimes.

It is normal for kids this age to have this kind of "swan neck deformity". It's likely not traumatic and probably due to a tight extensor tendon. this often resolve as the tendon length catches up to the bone growth. Nothing to be worried about based on what you have described and the image you uploaded.

He hasn’t complain about pain, only since yesterday when I touched the top portion of his thumb
Thank you doctor, that is a big relief. Is there any thing I could do to help him with the discomfort?

I would keep helping him gently straighten it every day. If the thumb continues to remain in a slightly flexed position then I would have him be seen in person where we'll do an xray to make sure the bone is fine underneath the skin.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Thank you for all your help. I will follow your advice.