Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I need help. I haven’t been feeling well or normal for a…

Hi. I need help...

Hi. I need help. I haven’t been feeling well or normal for a very long time now and it’s only getting worse. My doctors have been testing me for Lupus, rheumatoid arthritis and a few other things. It’s back and forth with yes I have lupus then no I don’t. I feel like I’m losing my mind. My ANA has been positive for years but since December it is getting higher and higher with still no answers. It is now at 1:320 with a definite homogenous pattern. What else can I do? I can’t take feeling like this anymore

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I take armour 90mg for thyroid, ambien for familial insomnia, and tizanidine for severe muscle spasms that can distort and lock up for up to an hour or so

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had thyroid cancer in 2007, and diagnosed fibromyalgia in 2003

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

Yes

3/8/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

are you on treatment for fibromyalgia? lyrica? or cymbalta?

some rheumatologist will treat with a course of steroids or immune suppressing drugs to see if your symptoms get better.

what is your TSH and free T4 levels. usually armour thyroid hormone concentrations are not very consistent in thyroid hormone dose.

you don't like levothyroxine?

I have to look at the last test to see the levels but the doctor has not been able to get my levels stable for years now. I tried Cymbalta and Lyrica and didn’t like them. These pains I’m getting are very different from my fibromyalgia pains. My doctor is trying me on armour cause levothyroxine wasn’t doing much
I was on all different dosages. My levels are always high.

you should go on levothyroxine at a fixed dose and take the hormone on an empty stomach daily with no food or medications for 30 minutes before and afterwards

and get your blood tested in 6 weeks after you have been on a stable dose for a while

and use your blood tests to adjust your levels.

if your thyroid hormone levels are too high, you need lower levels of thyroid hormone

I’ve been doing all of that for 10 years. I follow all instructions to the T but the levels never go to a normal level. I had thyroid cancer in 2007. They did a total thyroidectomy. My life has been a nightmare since.

I had my thyroid gland destroyed by two doses of I-131 therapy because I had graves disease

you should see a better endocrinologist

and don't take your thyroid hormone medication with other medications.

I always take them separately. The armour I take in the morning and the others I take at night.
Could my ANA be that high from something endocrine?

most likely not

you should get blood tests for anti ds DNA antibody tests as well.

I don’t think that was ever done on my blood work. I work in the same office as my primary doctor. I’ll ask him to order that for me.

you should be seeing a rheumatology doctor for more specialized testing

antibodies to double-stranded DNA (anti-dsDNA) tests,
antibodies to histone tests,
antibodies to phospholipids,
antibodies to Ro/SS-A and La/SS-B,
antibodies to Sm target Sm proteins in the cell nucleus,
antibodies to RNP target ribonucleoproteins
rheumatoid factor and anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

I just looked . My TSH is 15.4 and my T4 is 0.04
One more question. I see you’re in NYC. That’s where I live. Do you have a good recommendation for a rheumatologist that will help me. I’m in Staten Island but I’d like to see someone in the city.

TSH of 15.4 means you are hypothyroid and your body's thyroid hormone levels are too low

you need free T4 levels measured and free T3 levels. total T4 and total T3 are not that helpful.

there are good rheumatologist at NYU or Cornell Weill

https://med.nyu.edu/medicine/rheumatology/division-rheumatology

Jill Buyon, M.D.
Director Division of Rheumatology

NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
301 East 17th Street, Suite 1410
New York, NY 10003
Phone:(###) ###-####

https://weillcornell.org/rheumatology

https://weillcornell.org/about-us/contact-us/new-patient-appointments

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician