Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Tests to determine effects of undiagnosed lead exposure of…

Customer Question
Tests to determine effects...

Tests to determine effects of undiagnosed lead exposure of an adult exposed as a child?

Doctor's Assistant: Do you keep personal medical records to help track this?

No.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Person is a fifty year old male with ADHD and depression and some hearing loss.He put lead pellets and fishing weights in mouth as child...wonders if this could have caused his problems and how to find out with blood tests?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/8/2018
Doctor: Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

Hi, Dr. Mo here with JA. Please let me review the information and I'll reply shortly.

Lead exposure as a child which has since resolved would only be diagnosable through a functional MRI and possibly uptake scans such as PET scans of the brain. Even then it isn't always easy to know for sure if the damage was done due to lead exposure. However if it's severe then it would certainly show up.