Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Anything to be concerned with?IMPRESSION: 1. Mild cortical…

Anything to be concerned...

Anything to be concerned with?IMPRESSION: 1. Mild cortical volume loss with multiple foci of increased FLAIR signal within the periventricular and subcortical white matter. Overall the appearance is slightly worsened when compared to the prior exam. This is commonly related to chronic microvascular disease in this age group. Other etiologies include a history of remote injury, demyelination, or sequela of infection/inflammation. No evidence of acute ischemic injury. ______________________________________

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Hearing loss, tinitis, memory issues, vertigo ear pain significant memory loss

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?

No fever. I have dizziness every day and balance issues. We thought it was a vestibular issue.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I was hit by a car while running and did have a minor head impact. I have metabolic syndrome, obese, HBP and borderline diabetes

3/8/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, the changes which are apparent this MRI are to be expected in patients who are above the age of 50-55 (if you fall in that age group). Basically, the changes which are seen in this MRI indicate the following,

1) Mild cortical volume loss - this means that your brain has shrunk down which is again a change which is to be expected with aging. With advancing age the brain does shrink and loses some of its volume and usually, this can be up to 10% of what it was when you were in your 20s or 30s.

2) Multiple foci of increased FLAIR signals in the periventricular and subcortical white matter - These are essentially lesions or areas of the brain which are damaged because of obstruction of blood supply. This happens because the smallest blood vessels in the brain have become obstructed over time due to deposition of debris or inflammation. Again this is an expected finding in most patients above the age of 50 which can progress mildly over time. Usually, this does not cause any significant issues or symptoms. However, in some cases, it can cause memory issues, headache, and other issues. In your case, these changes are not likely to explain your symptoms as dizziness and balance issues are not controlled by this area of the brain (the region where they are located)

So, in short, I would not be concerned over the findings of this MRI as these are very small changes and usually don't represent a serious illness.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

No more questions, I got a hip MRI back today, can I send those results?

Please post a picture of the report of the hip MRI here.

Dr. Muneeb Ali