Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have a family member with a swollen tongue and patches also…

Have a family member...

Have a family member with a swollen tongue and white patches also one blue patch on it. The tongue was bit while sleeping 2 times.....

Doctor's Assistant: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?

Swelling since yesterday morning. no recent injuries. large amount of alcohol drank in last two weeks

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Its for a family member. they had prostate cancer with surgery of seeds 1/12 years ago.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

White patches and swelling is most likely due to thrush or fungal infection and blue mark is most likely bruise due to biting. I would suggest using nilstat oral drops available OTC for thrush and sucking on ice to relieve swelling.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5-stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
I inquired at our Pharmacy and they were not familiar with "nilstat oral drops". They said they are not over the counter. Is there something else to use. I am going to try at Walmart to get the nilstat. Client said he is sore under chin, directly below the jaw. Is this from trying to swallow? Is there any other med that could be used. They are using the ice cubes and have for about 3 hours and will continue. Thank you.

He can use Orajel Antiseptic rinse available at walmart and if do not find improvement then see your doctor for a prescription of antifungal lozenges, ask your pharmacist if any antifungal lozenges available OTC.

Best wishes.