Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I will be having an appt with my oncologist next week

I will be having...

I will be having an appt with my oncologist next week regarding my lung cancer and a gene therapy test. He already got the biopsy and than called me and told me we would have to pay $500 for the test. Since than, he has stated me on my 3rd round of chemo in 18 months since i was diagnosed. What questions should I ask him?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

I have kaiser insurance, so I can see my medical record and print it out anytime

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have rheumatoid artritis so the oncologist will not give me the cancer treatment that affects my immune system.

3/8/2018
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

I am sorry about your lung cancer.

how old are you? are you male or female? did you smoke before?

you should ask what type of lung cancer you have? a metastatic lung adenocarcinoma?

you should ask him if they are testing for EGFR, ALK1, ROS mutation testing?

let me know if you have questions.

Thank you. I was diagnosed with MALIGNANT POORLY DIFFERENT NEUROENDOCRINE CANCER of lung November 2016. I am diabetic and have rheumatoid arthritis among other things. I am 58, 40 years smoking (quit 2016), and female.
It has spread to the outside of my lung as the ct scan showed last month. But the spot they radiated is gone.
Are there any other things I should ask?

TP53 mutations are associated with poor survival in neuroendocrine malignancies

that could be what they are testing for

but for neuroendocrine cancers, there is not treatment which can be directed at this mutation yet, like we can for lung adenocarcinomas.

Thank you. Do you think it be a waste of money than to do the gene testing?

ask your oncologist what gene is being tested.

ask what difference it makes in your treatment decisions.

Thank you so much, I will definately ask these questions.

Let me know if you have other questions.
If done for now, please leave Positive Rating of 5 Stars so I can get credit for helping you today.
We only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback. (You may have to scroll up or down to see the ratings area)
You can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions.
Here is my website if you need to reach me:
http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/
Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Dr. David, Board Certified Physician