Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am having quite a bit of muscle cramping. At night, I will…

Hi. I am...

Hi. I am having quite a bit of muscle cramping. At night, I will feel my calf muscles twitching. As a history, I am on a diuretic, 25 mg HCTZ as well as Lisinopril. I also just started NutriSystem (been on it 4 days now) and am drinking a lot of water per day (around 64 oz.); hence, going to the restroom a lot. What can I take for the cramping??

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

I take Synthroid, bupropion, WellButrin, Propranolol, pantoprazole, and levothyroxine. No allergies.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I weigh 231.8 with a BMI of around 36. I am trying to walk more and lose some weight. So far, I have lost 4 pounds on this NutriSystem. I imagine my electrolytes are a little out of wack. I just had a BMP and thyroid laboratory tests which were normal (earlier this week).

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

What is your age & gender?

Since how long you have these symptoms of calf muscle twitching/cramping?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
63, female. I have been having mild muscle cramping off and on for several years, usually relieved by drinking something like Gatorade. But this is a little bit worse and has been going on for a week or so. Gatorade is not helping as much this time.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I would rather just chat this way.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online.

The symptoms you have described of having calf muscle cramping/twitching can be due to various causes.

The exact cause of night muscle cramps isn't known.

Most common causes of such cramp pain are:

-Low potassium levels,
-Muscle overextension
-Dehydration,
-Diabetes,
-Neuro muscular disorders,
-Excessive alcohol,
-Peripheral vascular disease.
-Unknown causes.

Various tests & examination is required to know the exact underlying cause. As you are of age 63,so elderly age can be a probable factor.

Following helps to relieve the night leg cramps:

· Stretching and massaging the affected muscle

· Applying a cold pack to the affected muscle

· Taking a hot bath

· Using a pillow to prop the feet up in bed while sleeping on your back

· Supplementation with vitamin B12 & gabapentin.

· Also take potassium supplements.

If still after this,the symptoms persists,then you need to make an appointment with your doctor as prescription oral medications will then be required accordingly.Usually & most likely,the symptoms gets subside with these treatment.

Thank you

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor