Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My father is 87 and still active (even camping), but over…

My father is 87...

My father is 87 and still active (even camping), but over the last several months he has loss his sense of taste. We are concerned about an early onset of a disease. His family dr. doesn't seem to be concerned.

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

No other symptoms. Has Diabetes, Emphysema, and COPD.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I know he sees a Nephrologist, but am not sure why.

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/8/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Dear customer

This is Dr. Josh. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Okay, thank you.

Dear customer

Thank you for being online

In medical terminology,loss of taste is called as Ageusia

The impaired taste/loss of taste you are having can be due to either interruption of the transfer of taste sensations to the brain or conditions that affect the way the brain interprets theses sensations.

The most common cause of loss of tatse is aging because the number of taste buds diminishes with age.Other causes are:common cold,nasal infection,influenza,flu,vitamin (vitamin B-12) or mineral (Zinc in diet) deficiency,side effects of certain medications.

As your father is 87 year old,so this elderly age seems to be the most probable cause.

The cause is to be treated.So I advice for your father to consult his doctor for this & take treatment accordingly. Zinc,vitamin B12 & other supplements will be prescribed accordingly.The underlying cause is to be treated.

Thank you

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today ,we only get after positive feedback.

Bonus is highly appreciated.

We are here to help you until you satisfy.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I and my siblings have been reading where the loss of taste can also be a sign of Alzheimers and/or Parkinson's Disease. Is this a possibility?

Dear customer

Thank you for being online

Yes,a decreased sense of taste can be linked to the onset of Alzheimer's,

Loss of taste and smell is natural with aging, especially after age 60. Alzhemier' disease can be a possible cause.

Alzheimer’s disease is a progressive brain disease that slowly destroys memory and thinking skills.It is the most common form of dementia among older people. Dementia is a brain disorder that seriously affects a person's ability to carry out daily activities.

Age is the greatest risk factor for dementia.There's no specific test today that confirms you have Alzheimer's disease.

So I advise you to please discuss with your doctor so as to know the exact cause of this loss of taste & then treatment will be done accordingly.·Cholinesterase inhibitors such as donepezil (Aricept) can be prescribed accordingly.

Thank you

Bonus is highly appreciated.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Dr Josh
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor