Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I was just interested in finding out about a strange feeling…

I was just interested...

I was just interested in finding out about a strange feeling in the outer part of my LEFT ear/middle area above the canal / around exterior cartilage. For several weeks, I have been getting a tingle feeling, not itchy like bugs and it does not hurt, but it is more of a numbness/tingle feeling. I also suffer from migraines on my left side of my head, so wondering if any connection.

Doctor's Assistant: Is the headache episodic or daily? And what about nausea?

I have suffered from migraines for 14 years and they are hormonal and happen about every 3.5 weeks. About 30% of the time I am extremely nauseous.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, only have migraines, age 50 and good health. Just the exterior ear issue has just come to my attention for about the past 4 weeks.

3/8/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

This can be a new symptom of Migraine, especially if it occurs at the same time when you get migrainous headache.

But more important than anything, a recent infection of the ear can be the cause, some times the infections (usually viral) are subclinical and present with minimal symptoms as natural immunity of the body tries to heal up and fight back the inflammation. The inflammation of the ear canal as a result of infection can give you this feeling.

Finally, some times, a nerve compression or neuropathy can also be responsible for such weird feelings, which can happen in diabetes, B12 and folate deficiency or due to abnormal pressure over the nerve anywhere along its pathway.

Try Motrin or Aleve for few days, these are anti-inflammatory drugs and if inflammation of the ear canal is the reason, it should respond. If, the symptoms persist or get worse or become associated with pain and discharge, then it will be a clear indication to have this examined by your doctor.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
My migraines last one day and occur every 3 or so weeks, usually around my monthly cycle. However, this ear feeling is daily on and off and has been occurring for the past 4 weeks. As I mentioned, it is not painful, just recognized by the strange uncommon feeling in the exterior mid section of my ear. Thank you for your help.

Then its not related to Migraine, we need to look for other causes, especially infections.

Over all, this doesn't sound serious but if persist despite anti-inflammatory drugs, better to have ear examined.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor