Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter fell over and obtained some grazes which were…

help please. my daughter fell...
help please. my daughter fell over and obtained some grazes which were dirty and were weeping. I insisted my husband put on savlon but now I have noticed the tube looks like this. is that rust? have I caused more trouble? I am so worried she will get tetanus now. help please
3/8/2018

Hi

That isn't rust--it's just the way the cream looks when it's been exposed to the air and has dried.

And rust itself doesn't cause tetanus

So your daughter is fine

Thank you. i am afraid as the tube sat on our bathroom bench for a few days or, so it may have gotten moisture in it and that's whats caused the discoloration? Possible? and if so would this cause any harmful bacteria?As an MD would you use that tube again for tomorrow on her abrasions or discard?

Just the dried cream from air exposure

No bacteria there and nothing to worry about

And the cream inside the tube is fine to keep using

it may have come into contact with the outside though as we squeezed it out. I mean, it probably did. thats ok too?

That's just fine--stop overthinking this

i ask because i gave rhe rop of the tube a quick wipe with a tissue before we used it and probably wiped some of the manky cream into the fresh stuff.
oh this is the first time youve ever gotten imaptient sounding with me. I'm not surprised, I'm relentless

I'm not impatient--just trying to tell you to stop overanalyzing simple things

No chance of your daughter getting any kind of infection here

Ok. I'll try to calm myself. Thank you

Take care