Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My daughter fell over and we cleaned her wounds as they were…

Hi Dr. my daughter fell...
Hi Dr. my daughter fell over and we cleaned her wounds as they were dirty and applied savlon cream. I an feeling a little worried as I remember I last used the savlon cream on some pimples I had and I am wondering if there could be germs or contaminated within the tube? I squeezed out the top bit of the savlon and wiped it off first. my daughters grazes are large and I am concerned about infection or contamination as I suffer anxiety. Please can you assist?
I am worried I may have used a non clean finger on the tube of savlon last time it was used thus contaminating it :( Perhaps I should have put nothing on her wounds? I wasn't sure what was right to do.
now I have seen the tube looks like this is this rust? could she now get tetanus? the tube is not very old
3/8/2018
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

I understand your concern and worries. It is natural to worry regarding this. However, let me assure you that you cannot contaminate Savlon cream. Savlon cream will also not be affected by rust. So, by applying the Savlon cream you did the correct thing since this will prevent an infection in the wound.

Even if you used a nonclean finger on the tube last time Savlon being an antiseptic will kill all the germs and germs will not be able to survive on the Savlon cream. Even if you used the cream on pimples there will be no harmful effect on the cream. Bacteria and viruses cannot survive on this cream and so you did no harm by applying it on her wounds. In fact, you did a beneficial action which will prevent future possible infection.

Tetanus bacteria will also not able to survive on the Savlon cream. Your daughter is safe and protected and no harmful complications will occur due to the Savlon. In fact, the Savlon will help her wounds heal faster and prevent an infection. You have no reason to worry regarding this. Medically there is no doctor who will find fault in any of your actions. Your actions were correct. There is no risk of an infection or contamination because of the Savlon and any infection or contamination will, in fact, be prevented by Savlon.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered

questions.
Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above

with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

I quickly wiped over the top of the tube with a tissue before use. could I have allowed the bacteria from the outside tube to get into the cream?
is this tube safe to use tomorrow?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

By quickly wiping the tube with tissue you did not cause any bacteria to get into the cream. And even in the rare case that this happened the bacteria will be killed instantly by the antiseptic cream. Bacteria cannot survive in this cream.

You can safely use this cream tomorrow and in the future till it lasts.

Take care.

questions.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor