Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

All of a sudden, I have fluid built up on my left “love

All of a sudden...

All of a sudden, I have fluid built up on my left “love handle”. All of a sudden meaning within 24 hours.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No and none

I’m 50 and very fit. My left peck is very sore. I probably pulled it. Aside from that, I feel fine
3/8/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Can i ask how you know that there is fluid in the region? Is it visible and if so do you have a picture which you can attach here? Or can you just feel it? Any pain, redness in the region?

No pain and no color. I don’t know for certain that it’s fluid but it’s bouncy like fluid. At a glance it just looks like a love handle but it showed up suddenly and is only on the left

Can you attach a picture which shows both the right and left sides?

I’m trying....

Thanks i got it, let me review it and ill come back to you with a written answer in a few mins.

I sent three

Ok so this is not fluid, fluid would not be stretchable like you are able to stretch the skin in the second picture. This looks more like mild swelling in the region which could have developed because of the way you slept at night or it can be due to an allergic reaction as well. Not all allergic reactions would result in a rash or itching at the site. It can also be due to mild trauma to the muscles which could have occurred while you slept or even due to an insect bite in the location.

I think this is not a serious issue and it should improve over the course of the next couple of days. You can use OTC antihistamines like Zyrtec or Claritin along with a low dose of anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 200 mg twice daily.

But this does not look like fluid at all.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Thank you. I play hockey 4 days a week and I recently overdid it with a 100 pull-up challenge so there are lots of possible reasons it was messed up.

It is possible that this is due to a mild injury you picked up while playing hockey and now it is swelling up in this manner. The anti-inflammatory medications would be helpful in reducing the swelling, usually, traumatic swellings do settle down within 2-3 days but if this does not, then continue the anti-inflammatories for a week and increase the dose to 200 mg thrice daily.

Do you have any more questions?

Dr. Muneeb Ali
All good. Thank you

You are welcome, best of luck.