Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Is there any correlation between strep throat and herpes.

Hi! Is there any...

Hi! Is there any correlation between strep throat and herpes. Could herpes be why I am constantly getting strep throat?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with this? Do you have a cough?

I have had strep throat for two days. No cough.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing major (:

3/8/2018
Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you. I am a board-certified consultant with over 30 years of experience. I’m reviewing your question and reply you soon.

Please provide more information regarding your question so I can help you in detail.

What are your age and gender?

Do you have a history of Herpes?

Do you have painful bumps in the mouth and throat?

Fever?

Pain during swallowing?

Do you have recurrent episodes of a sore throat?

Smoking and alcohol intake?

Stuffy nose, headache, clogged ears?

Phlegm at the back of the throat?

Have you undergone any investigations so far?

White/yellow spots on the back of the throat?

Fatigue?

Are you taking any medications?

Any other medical history?

Waiting for your response.
Thanks

Female, 25
No history of herpes
I have bumps in the back of my tongue but they are not painful
No fever or pain during swallowing
I get strep about once every two to three months
Alcohol twice a week roughly, no smoking
Headache, no clogged ears, a little stuffy of a nose
I have phlegm in the back of my throat
No
White spots in the back of my throat, yellow film over the roof of my mouth
no fatigue
I take raniditine
history of colotits, acute pancreatitis

Thanks for all these additional information.

I understand your concern.

Well as you describe, your symptoms are suggestive of viral pharyngitis or tonsillitis.

Chances of either Herpes or bacterial strep throat are very less likely.

Such bumps on the back of the tongue may be prominent circumvallate papillae which are usually harmless.

You should take some self-care measures until you see your doctor.
Do steam inhalation and saline gargles.

Do oral betadine rinse.
You should take the nasal saline spray and OTC Nasonex spray.
You should take Ibuprofen and Nyquil/Claritin.
You should hydrate yourself with warm liquids.
You should start a multivitamin supplement and vitamin C lozenges.
You should take OTC Zantac.

You should start a probiotic.

Elevate your head while lying down.
If your symptoms will persist then see your doctor or ENT specialist for further evaluation and management.

Let me know if you have any further query so we can discuss it thoroughly in every aspect.

Please use the REPLY/SEND BUTTON to reply back to me. It’s requested to avoid poor/bad rating.

Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars.

It’s my pleasure to continue this conversation until you satisfy.

Waiting for your response.

Thanks.

Thank you doctor. So is there any correlation with herpes and strep? Strep throat is not a symptom of herpes?

Thanks for the follow-up.

Strep throat is a bacterial infection.

Herpes is caused by HSV 1 & 2 viruses.

So, these are different and not related to each other.

However, if you are considered strep throat to a sore throat then sore throat is one of the symptoms of Herpes.

However sore throat is not the main symptom of Herpes.

Try such measures which provide you relief.

And see an ENT specialist for throat examination for further evaluation and management.

Hope this helps.
Use reply to let me know if you have further queries.
Please provide a positive rating by clicking on 5 stars and avoid poor/bad rating.
A bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Waiting for your response.
Thanks.

Dr.Anil
Dr.Anil, Doctor