Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have found large black specs in my stool and have a large…

I have found large...

I have found large black specs in my stool and have a large amount of burning stomach pain.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

It start about 30 minutes ago

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I have IBS

3/8/2018
Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor

Hello!

My name is***** to JustAnswer.

I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with the reply momentarily. Thank you for your patience.

Thanks

Age and gender?

Do you have nausea?

Any change in bowel movements?

Are you on any medications?

Do you suffer from anxiety or severe stress?

Waiting for your reply…

Thanks

I have had nausea, but it has subsided. I'm not on any meds right now. I do have anxiety.
Male 23

Dear,

Thanks for all these additional details.

Well, such black specks in stool can be caused by food, supplements, medication, or minerals is known as "false melena.

Foods that are dark blue or black may cause it. Substances that can cause false melena are:

-Black licorice
-Blueberries
-Iron supplements
-Lead

If you can recall your diet over the past 48 hours and identify a food that could present as black specks, you can stop eating that food to see if the black specks go away.

If you have not use used any of these items, then it usually means that the blood is coming from the upper part of the gastrointestinal (GI) tract.
It could suggest that you are having gastric ulcers or gastritis and /or GERD(gastro esophageal reflux disease).
You may need colonoscopy, or EGD,stool examination & culture,x-rays of precise diagnosis.

At this time, you can wait till 48 hours. Most likely, this can be due to any food item, and would come back to normal in next 48 hours.

I would recommend, that you can see your primary doctor for further clinical evaluation.

Hope this helped

If you have any further question then you can ask me.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today
we only get after positive feedback.
Bonus is highly appreciated.
We are here to help you until you satisfy.
Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor