Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Mo So I have a little dymotility in my esophagus and just…

Hello Dr. Mo So I have...
Hello Dr. Mo
So I have a little dymotility in my esophagus and just need to be aware of it and eat more mindfully. Tonight wasn't paying attention and was eating chicken a little too fast. When I do this the chicken will slight back up in there and hurt going down. I think it may be producing a spasm in the esophagus. When this occurs I am left with hoarseness and uncomfortable feeling in my upper stomach. Can you tell me why this occurs?
3/8/2018
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD

The hoarseness happens because the mucous that the esophagus and your pharynx produces stays in place and coats the vocal cords and sometimes edema or swelling of the area can occur as well when the motility is decreased.

The pain in the upper stomach happens because the same nerve that goes to the gastrum of the stomach also goes to the esophagus so pain in the esophagus can be felt in the stomach as well.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The hoarseness came within several minutes after having the chicken move slowly down. Would swelling happen that quickly?t

It would take about 15-30 minutes for swelling to take place and it wouldn't be a significant amount of swelling - we refer to it as laryngeal or esophageal edema.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
why do I get hoarse when I have an episode in which I eat too fast and the chicken backs up in there and hurts going down. Also feeling irritated throat and lump feeling coughing today.
That would be because of the edema I mentioned and the mucus which backs up.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
ok Tonight had this lump feeling very uncomfortable and lots of coughing. Hopefully it will settle down.

You could try some antacids which can help with the motility a little since excess acid can further decrease motility. From what you're describing it could be the mucus that's backing up and it would make sense based on what we have talked about so far.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I have bouts of this lump feeling and irritation when something stirs it up. I have to be extra careful eating meat esp chicken as if I eat too fast, it backs up and causes this issue sometimes for days. I have to make sure the first piece of meat is down before taking the next bite. I have taken Pepcid Completed for 3 nights in a row and it really didn't help at all.

If you have a dysmotility issue then it would be good to talk to a dietician because the kinds of foods you eat will be very important. For example, animal proteins are almost never recommended so that's important to discuss with a dietician because managing esophageal dysmotility is a multi-step approach and taking medication such as pepcid wouldn't be enough to manage such a condition.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
okay. Today I was not paying attention and I was eating these rather large squares of cereal called oat bran. I think I swallowed to big of a piece. It feels stuck in there. I didn't choke or anything. Is it possible that it was too big to go down? I just have to be mindful when eating. I tend to eat too fast. How would I know if something were really stuck? I have eaten a piece of cookie and took my bp meds. so I would think these things may have pushed it down.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
also I notice I start getting an irritating cough almost in the airway. Where does this cough come from?

It may go down eventually but wouldn't be the best thing to eat for someone with the condition we're talking about.

If something is stuck then you'd start to vomit and have have severe chest pains.

The cough comes from mucus backing up.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I chew my food really well and take my time, I normally don't have issues. It is just when I don't pay attention or I am trying to talk and eat at the same time. I have to make sure the food isn't too big when swallowing. There are only certain things that give me issues such as meat, French fries, bread. So I have had this cough that comes and goes. Mostly worse when I exhale. I thought all of this time it may be a form of asthma, but now I am thinking acid may doing this. Is it possible that acid can irritate airway or trachea area?

Yes, acid can make it's way into the airway and cause irritation. So it is possible.

Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo
Dr. Mo, Board Certified MD