Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How do I know if my cough is allergies or pneumonia? I have…

Customer Question
How do I know...

How do I know if my cough is allergies or pneumonia? I have a runny nose but no sneezing really, a cough with mucus that was very clear but now seems thicker. Both my mother and my husband have had pneumonia is the last 2 weeks.

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?

About 3 days. I do not think I have a fever and am not sure if I am really achy or not the mucus seem relatively clear most of the time but sometime I cough up a chunk of mucus.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I just got home from India.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Medical
3/8/2018
Doctor: Dr Su S, Doctor(MD) replied 3 months ago
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Do you have chest pain, shortness of breath?

How high is your temperature?

Do you have sore throat?

Did you take any medicine?

I am not sure what kind of medicine to take so no I have not taken anything yet. No chest pain not really shortness of breath. I don’t think I have a fever. My throat feels alttle sore from all the coughing.
Can’t sleep because of the coughing.

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
Your symptoms do not sound like pneumonia.
The symptoms sound like a viral infection.
Viral infection usually gets over within a week, sometimes get prolonged.

Mucus can be a bit thicker during recovery phase.
Ibuprofen or tylenol can be taken.
Please take plenty of fluid.
Have adequate rest.
You can do warm salt,water gargling.
1/2 tsf salt in 8 oz. of warm water would be good.

Delsym can help in coughing.
Please keep the room warm & humidified during sleep.
I hope all these measures would give relief.
If the symptom continues, I would advise to take an examination by doctor.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

I do seem to have runny eyes as well does that suggest allergies?

It can be from allergy.

Viral infection can cause it too.

Okay I guess I will take some Night Quil and see if I can get some sleep.

You can take if you have in hand.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.
If you are happy with my answers please do not forget to leave a 5 star rating before signing out.
Without positive rating I will not get the credit for helping you today.
You can ask question on the topic after rating.
Wish him healthy life.
Warm Regards.