Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am on prescribed Vicodin yet today a drug screen came back…

I am on prescribed...

I am on prescribed Vicodin yet today a drug screen came back and said I had oxycodone also. CYFS is investigating. I DONE NOT TAKE ANYTHING BUT VICODIN FOR HERNIATED DISCS IN MY BACK

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

A drug screen they manually did in 5 minutes now they are sending for a confirmatory test.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I lost a son to an incurable disease and the thought of them taking my other children, one who is autistic, is scarying my wife and me

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
can hydrocodone (Vicodin) shows as Oxycodone on a drug screen and i am prescribed Vicodin by an MD
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/8/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from JustAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

In most situations, hydrocodone will not cause a positive oxycodone screening test. However, there is a small chance that any opiate can show some cross-reactivity with a screening test for a specific opiate. So, someone taking hydrocodone can sometimes have a false positive oxycodone screening test.

In reality, all screening drug tests have a certain amount of false positives, even in someone that is not taking any other medicines.

If someone taking hydrocodone has a false positive result for oxycodone, it is difficult to know whether it is due to the hydrocodone or it is due to the baseline rate of false positives. In reality, doctors typically do not care what is causing a false positive. If someone has a positive screening drug test, then we perform a confirmatory test, such as GC/MS. If the confirmatory test is negative, then we know that the positive screening drug test is false. The confirmatory test cannot say why the screening drug test is a false positive, but at that point, it really does not matter.

In your situation, if you know that you have not taken any oxycodone, then you need to insist that a confirmatory drug test is done. In someone that has not taken any oxycodone, then the confirmatory test will be negative, proving that the screening test is a false positive. At that point, CYFS will be satisfied and will close the investigation.

If I can provide any additional clarification, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr. Love
Thank you for your answer. One other thing, just last week i had a blood test done by my PCP/MD and it came back negative for oxycodone and positive for Prozac, Vicodin and a benzo all which are prescribed. So to me is a blood test the gold standard because i had this blood test done at a reputable lab (Quest). And do you agree that a blood test is much more reliable than a drug screen or urine test? Thank you

It is not that a blood test is more reliable, per se. It is that the more accurate test, such as GC/MS is more reliable. A blood test done by a more accurate method, such as GC/MS, will be more accurate than a urine screening test. The blood test that was done by your doctor must have been a more accurate test to have identified the Prozac and Vicodin. But if the same accurate test is done on the urine, then the urine test will be just as reliable.

There are other advantages of blood testing vs urine testing, as blood levels are a better reflection of the amount of drug in your body, so it is a better measure of whether a person is in the therapeutic range (neither too high or too low). But urine testing, done by an accurate method, will be positive longer than a blood test, so is the usual method to look for whether someone is using a drug other than is prescribed. Both tests, though, can be just as accurate, when the accurate method is done.

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor