Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I've had bouts of left ear and tonsil pain for the past 6…

Hey, so I've had...

Hey, so I've had bouts of left ear and tonsil pain for the past 6 months; I have seen my PCP to no avail. She says it is likely just post nasal drip, which it most certainly is not. My left tonsil has taken on an unusual shape, with a deep groove in it. Today I was investigating my mouth; I pulled my palatoglossal arch and found a small hole in the side of my throat. I think this is the issue but am not sure what it is. Any ideas? Can I post a photo?

Doctor's Assistant: Are you experiencing any dizziness? Do you have a fever?

Neither

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nothing contributory to this

3/8/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hi, my name is***** and I am an ENT. I will try to assist you today.

How old are you and what is your gender?

Yes, please post a picture if you can. Are you having any trouble swallowing or pain with swallowing? Any bleeding from your mouth? Any significant smoking or drinking in the past or currently?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I'm 22, no pain dysphagia. No bleeding. Just ear pain and swollen left tonsil. The hole is slightly anterior to my left tonsil. I did smoke about 4 cigarettes a day for about a year, but quit a few months back. I will post a photo shortly

OK, I will wait for the picture. Has your PCP given you anything to try yet?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I do not think my PCP could see what I was talking about and seemed rushed in the situation. She just gave me a lidocaine type mouth rinse for the pain and sent me on my way
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
photo attached above

Ah OK, thanks. That looks like a tonsil crypt. These can often fill up with food/bacteria and cause irritation/pain.

Great picture BTW and thanks for circling the area.

Unfortunately there isn't too much to do about this. We usually tell patients to gargle with mouth wash and they can use a water pick to try to clean the area. Sometimes antibiotics can help. As a last resort, a tonsillectomy may be required. Hope that was helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
even though it is superior to the actual tonsil tissue itself, it is still considered a tonsil crypt? Sorry to bother, it has just been really painful and distracting for the past few months now! Some days not so bad, others, like today, really painful especially in my ear
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also, I have been trying to irrigate it with salt water with the syringe you see pictured and some yellowish blobs come out of it, and my tonsil itself, quite often

Yes sometimes people develop these "crypts" between the superior portion of the tonsil and the surrounding lining of the throat. Almost like a crevice there that can become irritating.

Yes, those yellowish blobs are classic for tonsil crypts. We call them tonsilloliths. Or tonsil stones.

Please let me know if you have other questions. Otherwise, I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating for my time/service. We can continue to talk even after you rate. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Alright, well thank you doc. I appreciate your help. Any suggestions going forward besides recontact my PCP to get a referral for an ENT? It's been about 5-6 months of this pain

My pleasure. Aside from what I described, not much else aside from maybe some lidocaine spray to numb the area if it is really painful.

I will be stepping away from the computer for a bit now. Good luck!

Dr. A
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD