Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

At beggining of this year one day i started having pain or…

at beggining of this year...
at beggining of this year one day i started having pain or bloating feeling in my upper right side of abdomen all of a sudden and like and indigestion pain in my lower abdomen that lasted about a month....from there on i lost about 30 pounds because i couldnt eat ..as soon as eat a bloating pain and burping all day. I had an upper endoscopy,cad scan of stomach,ultrasound and blood test done and everything would come out remarkable. They even tested for hpylori and was negative. I went to 3 gi doctors..1st said needed to change diet..2nd gave me dexilant and didnt do anything but give me back pain ..3rd finally gave me a med called reglan and creon which started to help along with taking metamucil twice a day but now ive lowered the meds and im getting that stomach bloating feeling again. I have high blood pressure and acid reflux..i used to have bowel movement 3 to 5 times a day. now i go 1 to 2 times.. need help
3/8/2018
Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor

Hello,I am Dr. Aren,I have over 37 years of clinical experience,and i will help with your query.How old are you and what are your exercise levels?Any history of alcohol /tobacco taken in excess?What are your stress and anxiety levels like?What medication are you taking currently for your problem?please give me more information,thank you.

hi doctor i am 37 years old..since i begin with this problem i walk 30 minutes 5 to 6 days a week . i was a heavy drinker in my 20s now im just social drinker but i have not had any alcohol since like january 6th when i begin with this problem. i have moderate stress and have had a history of anxiety. i used to take ativan but i heard just excersicing was better so i stopped using it slowly to avoid withdrawals. during this the time i had this problem i had indigestion specially in evenings and that would create anxiety so iw ould take 1 mg ativan to be able to go to sleep. since i started taking the reglan and creon about 4 weeks ago i got better and i would only take.5mg at night..im not taking anymore ativan .at first i was taking reglan 3 times a day and creon 3 times a day along with metamucil 2 times a day. then when i said i felt better he said to lower reglan to 2 imes a week and creon to 2 times also and the next week to 1 reglan and 2 creon a day and thats were im at now and im having this bloated feeling again just notb as bad as when i started. so now im taking reglan 5mg once a day and creon twicw a day along with 10 mg norvsc and 100mg losartan potassium for hbp and omeprasole 20mg once a day for acid reflux

Your problems appear linked to stress and anxiety,symptoms resembling Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) are also there.Taking a TriCyclic Antidepressant (TCA)which will also help you sleep like Tryptomer/Amitryptilene would probably be more useful in the long run than Ativan /Lorazepam.,your drugs appear fine except for the Ativan which should be eliminated.The bloating will gradually settle down as you are on a prokinetic drug as also regular exercise.Cutting down on foods that cause bloating like Cabbage,apples,beans,broccolli,cauliflower,dairy products,peaches and pears.Eating small meals,avoiding carbonated drinks/sodas will help relieve bloating.Ruling out food allergies is essential.

now im burping a lot again and have dthis bothersome feeling ght in middle chest upper stomach. the doctor said to eliminate reglan and creon after this week and i dont feel like im back to normal..i feel the bloating coming back and the burping. is the amitryptilene a anxiety medicine? is it addicting like ativan? what are the side effects? would probiotics or digestive enzymes help with the bowel movement and bloating?

The Creon you are taking are digestive enzymes,the Tryptomer is an antidepressant with mild sedation and will take 4-6 weeks for its action to be apparent,it is not addictive like the benzodiazepines .Use of Alka-Seltzer can be taken a couple of times to counter the bloating.

ok i will look into this and hope for the best. thanks Dr. Vakul

Please do leave a 5 star rating (the stars are above and to the right of your answer box),so that i am compensated for my efforts,thank you and wishing you good health.

Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor