Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have raised liver alt and alk phos? And a enlarged spleen…

Hi I have raised...

Hi I have raised liver alt and alk phos? And a enlarged spleen nothing’s else showing on my ultra sound do you know possible reasons for this

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Stomac pain itching server bloating light coloured stools vomiting aching legs

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Nothing and my stomach has swelled

3/8/2018
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. What is your age? What medications do they have you on?

I am 28 and they have just give me omerprozal I am waiting to go back to see the doctor again to repeat test

Do you drink alcohol?

Inflammation of the liver (hepatitis) can cause elevation of the liver enzymes and lead to back pressure in the blood supply leading into the liver (portal hypertension). This can, in turn, cause enlargement of the spleen. Stones in the biliary system can also cause congestion of the liver and blood vessels. Either way, the back pressure can lead to leakage of fluid into the abdominal cavity (ascites) with bloating, swelling, pain and nausea. If you can treat the underlying cause of this process, you can usually heal quite well, especially at your age.

Does this make sense?

Let me know if you have any additional questions. I would be happy to help further.

If your questions have been answered, a positive rating would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
I had a ultra sound scan that was clear except for the enlarged spleen I have also tested positive for anti nuclear antibodies and smooth muscle antibodies with raised LFts and have a IgA deficiency but so far no diagnosis on to why do you think there is any cause for concern? And what can cause this I tested negative for hepatitis b and c thanks

If you have an autoimmune process going on (e.g. lupus, RA, autoimmune hepatitis), this can elevate your liver enzymes and lead to the kind of symptoms you are having. If the liver gets congested and the blood flowing into it slows down, back pressure can occur in the spleen causing it to enlarge, as mentioned before. I would suggest that you need to see both GI and rheumatology specialists to coordinate your care and get you feeling better.