Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If my water is contaminated with pathogenic microbial

Customer Question
activity, and/or parasitic life, could...
If my water is contaminated with pathogenic microbial activity, and/or parasitic life, could these things, or perhaps other toxins, eat through the plumbing sealant? Our water is leaking through every handle, of every fixture, and the rubber sealant, gaskets, and the sealant put around all crevices,cracks, and bases, of fixture to counter has also been eaten away in some way or another? There has been the reddish/pink film that comes up with the water at times, and patches around the fixtures like slimy worms of sort, in a raspberry color? The city we live in was settled in the 1600’s, and have had horrific problems with others in the downtown, low lying areas of Charleston SC. The city water Dept. gave all homeowners and leasers of homes, a 2 year window to have water tested, checked by DHEC in a much more stringent format, revealing many problems with homes that were still being fed water from the old, adobe, sealed clay, or brass/copper piping that’s over 200 years old! The worst of their findings were pathogenic toxins, high levels of metals, bacteria, fungals, sediment, and microbial activity that revealed parasitic worm infestations, and other parasitic problems that were water born species. Due to much sickness, and even a couple of deaths in the elderly, Charleston Water was forced to install brand new filtration systems to the mains, repair damaged plumbing, and begin work on removing the very old pipes. The bad thing about this, is that we didn’t move in until 2-3 years after this was over, missing out on the filtration! Our dogs have been sick, my wife and I both have been very sick, to the point of vomiting regularly, balance and confusion problems, memory issues, bladder infections, gum infections, skin sores, rashes, and night sweats that soak our clothing! Our big white lab, was drinking the city water, unfiltered, but also began vomiting, so much that she developed aspirated pneumonia! The water samples, photos of colored wormlike species, and slimy fungus, began to show on our dogs mouth, right on the bottom jaw hair, where the water had dripped over onto her coat. Seeing that, the sickness, the faucets, and leaking from loss of all gaskets, and sealing materials, and skin problems, we know something is very wrong, but what? Can anybody please give us some sort of insight into what this could be? Any help at all would be great, as the doctors are even at a loss, while trying to diagnose this problem? I’ll post a few of the photos, and hope for some sort of answers? Notice the last photo is after pouring alcohol, and CLR onto the slimy worm like things. They crystallized almost immediately, and into granulated pieces that are mostly white, and some green, a big change! Thank you very much, Feel free to text 843-957/7530 Desperately seeking help into a discovery of our problems? Pearce & Erica and our dogs
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hello. It does appear that something is leaking through the sealants. Water itself will eventually work its way through sealants that are not applied properly or are dessicated. If the water is contaminated with organisms or toxins these will come out as well. It's a shame your water department is not more carefully regulated. These types of issues can usually be avoided, and prevention costs far less than clean up!

It's that out city was burned down by the great earthquake of
https://goo.gl/qUA2sc
1886 Charleston earthquake - Wikipedia
What could these pink organisms be, they have a distinct head that's like a diamond shape, w two eyes, a mouth area, and a extended rod from the bodies? Do you have no idea, just saying something about the sealant is all you've got? Yes, I'm aware that they should be coming out to test properly, and the remedy the problems. But that's not ofmuch value, or help, seeing that your answer is much like common sense, not doctors sense? Thanks anyway though, the

You're welcome, of course, but can you provide a picture of the organism that shows these features that you describe? All you have here are a few images of the slime coming out of the pipes. Where are the organisms? Can you really make out two eyes? Are you seeing them under a microscope? You need to give me more information if you want me to help you.