Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just had some blood work done as I am having a hernia

I just had some...

I just had some blood work done as I am having a hernia operation on Friday and the nurse practitioner came back to me very quickly and said my Lipids were elevated , 84 on one side and 42 on the other. He said that the 84 should really be 40 which freaked me out a bit but I had been drinking rather a lot lately. So he said I needed to get another test done in a week just to check it wasn't a one off. So I stopped drinking and concentrated on pounding a lot of water, I go to the gym every morning any how and I eat healthily. I had my blood redone on Monday, a week later, and they just called to say they are now 95 and 56!!! How t he heck can that be???

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

Really good!

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I am absolutely the first to admit I drink more than I should but I went down to a glass of wine a night for the last week and my blood work got worse!!

3/7/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, how old are you, do you have any chronic medical conditions and do you take any medications regularly? Also, can you clarify what you mean exactly by your lipid levels being different on "one side and the other?" Do you have a copy of the results that you can attach to this chat thread?

Hi, sorry my name is***** am 52 years old and in good health. I do take sleep medication on a nightly basis Doxepin 50 mg and Xanex half a 1 mg I also have slightly elevated cholesterol not bad and I take a low dosage medication for that which I don't have in front of me so I can't give you the details but I've been on it for a few years now and it has kept my cholesterol where it should be.
Do any of those medications have an effect on your liver?

Thanks for that information. The doxepin that you're taking is very low dose, so no worries about liver problems. Same with the Xanax at 0.5 mg. I'm not sure which "lipids" your above numbers represent, since there are many different kinds including total cholesterol, LDL (low density lipoprotein, i.e. bad cholesterol), HDL (high density lipoprotein, i.e. good cholesterol) and triglycerides to name a few. Doesn't sound like you have any very high numbers so that's good. Overall, no particular problems with your liver judging by those numbers and low dose medications.

Any other questions?

Please let me know if I can help you with any other questions.

If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

I'm trying to find out if I should be majorly alarmed with my AST being 50 and my ALT being 96 and how quickly should they come down after having stopped drinking for a week?

I understand. Neither your AST or ALT is alarmingly high at all. They should come down fairly quickly, perhaps in a week or two at most. No reason at all to postpone the operation, but that would be the surgeon's decision to make. Just to put it in context, both numbers are generally below 40-50 as a normal reference value, can rise to numbers like you have from alcohol consumption or even a mild illness like a virus or cold, can be in the multiple hundreds (300-500) in the setting of infections like hepatitis and rise into the 1000's in serious disease like liver failure. So, your numbers are not alarmingly high at all, no need to be worried, sir.

Any other questions?

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD
That's great, thanks very much although I am reducing my alcohol intake!!!