Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had a urine test come back as 80000 cfu per ml escherichia…

I had a urine...

I had a urine test come back as 80000 cfu per ml escherichia coli and was looking it up. I have a UTI which my Dr was already thinking it was but said possible kidney stones too. I have terrible cramps like menstrual but I am in menopause and haven't had a period since 2009. I'm on antibiotics since Monday.

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

Urine

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My mom passed away of kidney disease 2 years ago. I have MS & colitis. I also had a bout of I thought stomach flu diarrhea the day before this started it was really bad. Almost nonstop for 24 hours so guessing e coli from that?!

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor

Hello, my name is***** and I shall be assisting you today. I'm reviewing your query & will get back to you shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you
I prefer texting

Yes, this is a UTI caused by E.coli and it can present with menstrual like cramps. Since you are already taking antibiotics, all you need to do is take lots of fluids, cranberry and raspberry juice as it help in clearing these symptoms. You can take motrin or aleve for pain and cramps as well.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you

That is what I thought but I have had several UTIs in my life and I never got menstrual cramps before especially this long after no longer having periods. I have R & R MS & Ulcerative Colitis which has been in remission for years with meds. The cramping just threw me, felt like something else/different than I had ever had before so I am very glad it doesn't appear to be kidney stones!

One of the reasons of cramping is diarrhea or ulcerative colitis as well. Wait and monitor your symptoms for now as you are already on treatment, it should get better in a day or two.

Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor