Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I recently took an STI test and came back positive for

Hello I recently took...

Hello I recently took an STI test and came back positive for gonorrhea on 2/25. I have since been treated. My partner has been my only partner for last 6 months and so I know I got this from him. He says he got tested last week and it came back negative. He took a second test at a different location and it came back positive for a “bacterial” infection...not gonorrhea. Is it possible for one partner to test positive and the other to test negative?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I saw a doctor and was treated with ceftiaxone injection and azithromycin

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No that’s all. I have PCOS. I’m an otherwise healthy 39yr old.

3/7/2018
Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD

Hi there. Board-certified obgyn here.

I'm sorry you're going through this! It can be very stressful.

In answer to your question, yes, one partner can test positive while the other one tests negative. You can transmit the infection without actually testing positive for it. It is possible that he had the infection, passed it to you, and then his body rid itself of the infection.

I'm glad you were treated. I typically also recommend that your partner gets treated too (even if they end up testing negative for it) because even if they tested negative, they were definitely exposed to the infection.

Ok his doctor refuses to treat him because he was negative. Very frustrating. Thank you for the response.

That is frustrating. Yes, the standard of care is for all partners to be treated.

You are most welcome, and I wish you the best of luck.

If you are satisfied with the response provided, please leave a rating by clicking the stars above. Thank you.

Dr. J
Dr. J, Board Certified MD