Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am constipated, not having gone in 2 days. I've tried

I am constipated, not having...
I am constipated, not having gone in 2 days. I've tried rectal suppositories with little success. I tried a tap water enema with some result. Result defined as some dark water. But not enough given not having gone in 2 days. Should I try another enema or is there a maximum number of attempts a day? What's your opinion/advice?
3/7/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

Yes you can try the enema once again, there is no harm in doing that.

But if this doesn't help you even after taking twice in a day, and if you develop significant abdominal discomfort, pressure and distension, then go to ER and there you can get a medicated enema, which will help you pass the stools.

How much fluid should I use for the tap water enema?

500 to 1000 ml; whatever you can tolerate.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor
Thank you