Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I just turned 39. Possibly had a stroke and experienced

I just turned 39...

I just turned 39. Possibly had a stroke and experienced bells palsy in 2014 also dx with MS 2007. I jad an mro of my left side of my brain. I am currently exp. Left eye twitching now longer than a month. In so many ways i am emmotional amd wreck fearing as i have a 21 & 18 year old girls who dont live home amd a wonderful son who is 6 amd needs me so much. I am scared to death. I want a normal life. How do i do that with the worry of having another stroke. The test specifically states that no enhanced leisions but that ventricles and sulci are enlarged consistant with mild generalized atrophy. I couldn't go to work today because i need to hear from my doctors what ate our next steps. I am an emotional person. Dont tend to dwell. I have been in a wheel chair and with hard work and knowing i had 2 little ones who needed me i am walking. But to say i am ok is not the truth. I just want my normal life. I almost want to never follow up with these diseases ans let all these meds go. But in the end what does thia mean? What are my restrictions. What should i look out for. I dont knoq if you are able to tell me. I am waiting for my PCP to call me who knows me for years.

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Lyrica, clonazepam, pantoprazole, low dose antibiotic daily due to chronic uti. Vitamin b12, weekly vitD 50000 units.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I guess a crazy anxiety from my MS dx. I think i get better and can go wo meds but i fluctuate between .5mg to 1mg 3x perday. I have bern told i am a liability and should just not work and get on didibity

3/7/2018
Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD

Hello, my name is***** and I will try to assist you today.

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way. You are going through a lot clearly, but it sounds like you are dealing with it as best as you can which is important.

So you recently had an MRI of the brain that revealed no stroke or lesion, but some generalized atrophy, correct?

but i had the mri because of the same symptoms i felt in 2014. No one imagined it. I knew something was wrong. My daughter ended up finding me on the floor. I just am petrified

What were those symptoms exactly?

Left side of my face. Just this past weekend i sufferred with headache so bad my eyes felt like they were being stabbed. I work for a chiro and he did a dmx on me a few mo. Ago and noticed c1 & c2 are very unstable. He said i have spinal inability. But this eye twitching is new but lasting. I massage my face ect. Should i be on steroids?
Im tired of the response. Amanda you have a chronic brain s
Disease and it is not going to vet better.

Is the left side of your face not moving as well or paralyzed? If so, did it come on pretty suddenly? When did it start?

My eye is droopy but i dont know if its from before. My cheeck is sore like if i laughed too hard. Suddenly
The eye twitching suddenly but long lasting now.
Over the weekend i has face numbness while having what i call brain contraction.
My apologies for the misspelling. I hope you understand.

You may have Bell's Palsy, especially if the left side of your face is not moving as well. In that case, steroids might be an option for you. There is no way to tell without a physical exam though.

The eye twitching is usually related to fatigue, stress and caffeine. It can also be related to Bell's Palsy and MS though. If you are not getting enough sleep or drinking too much caffeine you can cut down on that.

The important thing to know is that the MRI was essentially normal. There is nothing acute to do for the finding of generalized atrophy. That is a non-specific finding that should not be overly concerning.

Ok
In the end what does that mean?

I think this basically means that since the MRI was normal, the issue you are having with your face may not be related to the brain. It could be due to Bell's Palsy or even stress/fatigue.

Please let me know if you have other questions. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me a 5-star rating for my time and service. We can continue the conversation even after rating. Thanks!

Dr. A
Dr. A, Board Certified MD
My brain is shrinking? What should i look for?
No problem. I am super grateful

My pleasure. Your brain is just losing some of its mass. It is normal with aging. You are relatively young so they may want to monitor it, but nothing really to look for at this time.

I had no signs of a stroke or palsy before. Other these same complaints.
Losing mass? Is there a treatment or vitamins?

A balanced diet and multivitamin can help to keep your brain sharp. That can help to prevent atrophy.

Ok. B12 and D are good or something other than?

Those are both great. A multivitamin will include those and all other essential vitamins and minerals.

Ok i will get it today. Thank you

My pleasure.