Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have chest pain after eating a large bag of Boom Chicka…

I have chest pain...

I have chest pain after eating a large bag of Boom Chicka Pop Popcorn, I had the same thing yesterday when I ate a bag. Could it be high potassium? All I've eaten today is a banana and popcorn.

Doctor's Assistant: Have you ever dealt with this before? Are you having any shortness of breath?

A few times when eating large amounts of popcorn, no shortness of breath. Cough and nausea and a tight feeling in my chest. I had it yesterday though and it eventually went away

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My father passed away at 49 from heart failure. I have had my heart checked out and no concerns. I am on HRT

3/7/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

How long did the pain last?

Did you take any medicine?

How is your blood pressure, pulse?

Was it spicy?

I am still experiencing the pain, so for like nearly an hour so far. I haven't taken anything for it. My pulse feels normal, I have no clue about blood pressure as I'm at work. And no - it wasn't spicy

Thank you for the input.
I am very sorry for your symptoms.
The pain after taking popcorn can come from a few conditions.
There can be gastritis, ulcer, reflux.
Delayed emptying or esophageal spasm can cause pain here.
You can take Zantac or Nexium now.
Antacid can be taken too.
If you do not find relief, I would advise to get an examination by doctor.
Doctor can take a few tests like EKG, ultrasound, blood work, endoscopy etc.
Please take bland soft diet.
Avoid tea, coffee, smoking, alcohol, if you take any.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)