Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My inquiry today is regarding memory loss/retention. I am a…

Customer Question
Second opinion] My inquiry today...
Second opinion] My inquiry today is regarding memory loss/retention. I am a white male, 68 years old and in reasonably good health. I am probably 30 lbs overweight, do not smoke and have the occasional drink. I exercise as often as possible and walk between 2 and 3 miles per day. The walking and medication keep my arthritis reasonably under control. I do suffer from Afib. I live alone with my two dogs.Over the past few years I have noticed my memory , particularly short term, starting to wain. Inexplicably, while talking to someone, I forget their name even though I've known them for years. I forget after a few steps why I'm going the direction I am and what I was going to do. I sometimes forget when I had my last meal. These and other incidents are starting to happen more frequently. Most of my long term memory is still pretty good. I understand some of this happens with age but I am concerned.I do not have healthy insurance nor medicare, I am entirely on my own and am not that well off financially. Any helpful suggestions would be most helpful.Thank you
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor replied 4 months ago
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

please

Try to find the MOCA test online and take it

I will look for it and get back to you.

ok thanks

If you can have someone administer it to you that is even better

I found the test and copied the one page. Unfortunately, I can't find the instructions on what to do with it or how to score it. Any idea's?

the instructions should be on the MOCA website

It was no fun but I finally found it. The website is only available to doctors or nurses and I have no intention of lying to get into it. Thanks for the suggestion but it's too complicated for this old man. I'll move on.

can you get a mini mental status exam online?