Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

My last bowel was about approx. 30. Mins ago. Looked like it…

My last bowel was...

My last bowel was about approx. 30. Mins ago. Looked like it had a red color to it, almost like a redish brown. I have gerd, ibs, and had c-diff 2 wks ago treated w/ flagyl 500 mg for 10 days, getting results of repeat stool check friday. I've been trying natural things to improve my gut, like figs in olive oil(in fridge) small piece 1 x day. tuurmeric curcumim. Just started zen natural which is magnesium w/d3, b6, 2 nights ago. I also take d3 and k2 in 1 pill, plus digestive enzymes w/a probiotic in it from my pcp. Also from gnc a probiotic complex 50 billion cfus. I'm nervous that i could be bleeding internaly. It also occured to me, it could be all these new things i'm trying so i dont get c-dif again. 1 in 4 get a reoccurance. Help, dont want to go to er of worry my hubby, thank you and God bless for being there,

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

Too many, iive been on duragisic patch for 15yrs 100 mcg every 48hrs, clamara hrp x 1 wk, progesrterone 50 mg @ bedtime,norco 10/325 3 x day. Robaxin 500 mg 3-4 x day, diazapan 10 mg up to 3 x day if needed, dexilant dr60 mg 1 x day 30. Min beforeeating, dicyclomine 20 mg 4 x day,, concerta 27 mg 1 x day morning, not every day only when too much pain to get out of bed.Depressed, only leave house for all my drs appt.s. Also have spontanious fractures from being in bed for 16 yrs mostly in. I have had 3 back surgerys, L4-5 s1, ddd, djd, fibromalsia. Chronic pain. Neuro stimulater in spine w/ new generator so i can get mri's. So before i panic, what do u think, ty and God bless

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

2 c sections, hsterectomy, gaul bladder emergency sepy. 7th, 2017. Keep me in hospital for over 1 wk. Has a drain sewed in me , hemoaged out of one of the incision in the 4 i had lapriscopic. I think it had burst or gang green ??? Not sure, but i know it was suppose to be 1 day in and out.

3/7/2018
Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor

Hello and thank you for the question.
I am Dr. Sohaib, a practicing Internal Medicine Consultant with over 13 years of experience and I will do my best to help you today.
Let me review your question for a minute and I will get back to you.

What was the consistency of your last stool? Watery or solid or semisolid?

Do you have abdominal pain/cramps or fever right now?

Formed, not hard @ all. No, just normal belly ache i always have from either gerd or ibs, no fever

Thank you very much for useful information.

I believe there is nothing to worry about currently, as absence of diarrhoeal stools, abdominal cramps and fever makes the possibility of C.DIFF extremely unlikely.

I think you are being anxious. You are already on probiotics, recently treated for C.DIFF and symptoms not suggestive of colitis at all.

Stay relaxed and just watchfully monitor yourself for presence or absence of cardinal symptoms of colitis (diarrhea, fever, cramps), which if doesn't happen, means you do not have to see the doctor.

was it helpful?

Formed, not hard @ all. No, just normal belly ache i always have from either gerd or ibs, no fever. What would cause the redish color in my stool?? Could it be bleeding internally, never seen redish stool, yellowish, dark, never red, please answer

When there is actually blood in the stool (from colitis), it appears bright red clearly so that you can see it with your naked eyes with out any doubt. Also when you clean it you will see the red colored blood on the toilet paper.

Merely a reddish tinge or brown color can be a normal stool color, or can be related to kind of food you have eaten.

Why was it redish color, to me it could mean blood, what do u think

With internal bleeding you will have other symptoms also like severe abdominal cramps, black tarry colored stools, and symptoms of low blood pressure like dizziness, or weakness and exhaustion.

That's why I recommended to observe this for a while, unless this happens frequently and you clearly see blood in stools, or if you get any severe symptoms as I mentioned above, it is only then you have to go to ER for exam. I don't want to send you to ER Un-necessarily.

It truly looked red, it shocked me, and there was blood when i wiped myself, not all blood, nbBut r more than brown

If you are convinced that it was blood, then you should go to ER and have a rectal exam done along with CBC counts to look at drop in hemoglobin, and stool exam to identify clearly the presence or absence of blood. This will clarify any doubts you have, and will direct any further management if needed.

It truly looked red, it shocked me, and there was blood when i wiped myself, not all blood, nbBut r more than brown not seperated where some of the stool was brown, than some red. It was all red more than brown like a red color stool, not just seperaterated w/blood and stool, the whole stool was red brown

Right, the only option in such a case where you are sure about blood in stools, is to go to ER for urgent evaluation.

Good luck and my sincere wishes for your good health.

Please do not forget to Click and Give 5 Star Rating (at the top of screen) to my service as this is the only way I get credit for my time and expertise on your question.
If you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions.
Kindest Regards.

Ty, im now more confussed, but i think ur right, ill wait and see if anything gets worse, ive never seen red stools before. How do i grade you, where it was all the same color red , ill pray and let i t take its course. Ty again, may God bless
Ty, im now more confussed, but i think ur right, ill wait and see if anything gets worse, ive never seen red stools before. How do i grade you, where it was all the same color red , ill pray and let i t take its course. Ty again, may God bless. Gayle

Thank you.

Click this link to complete the Rating Process;

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Its on the Top Right of Question Page.

Dr. Sohaib
Dr. Sohaib, Doctor