Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I am concerned I have guillain barre syndrome. I have been…

Customer Question
Hey, I am concerned...

Hey, I am concerned I have guillain barre syndrome. I have been to the ER twice and the doctors keep saying I don't have it even tho they do no tests to confirm and even tho I have pretty much all of the major symptoms. And I currently do not have a primat doctor so I don dont know who to see

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

Yes, been to the ER twice. I am currently on the Fentanyl patch due to a long history of back problems

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Yeah, I have an appointemen with a rhematologgist as I am pretty sure I have an autoimmune condition. Have been having severe stomach problems the last 3 years (had 2 stomach scopes done and a colonoscopy) and I have had a case of Eczma pop up recently and have been getting superficial blood clots on my right leg.

Doctor's Assistant: How long has this been bothering you? Are you experiencing any vomiting or nausea?

Its ben bothering me about 6-7 days now. No vomiting, but I do feel nauseated part of the time. Just got over a really severe case of lower abdominal flu. Had really bad diarrhea for like 5 days a couple weeks back. Still not over that entirely.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/7/2018
Doctor: Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor replied 4 months ago

Welcome to Just Answer.
Answers here are for education and information.
I will respond shortly with an answer, or further information request.

Did you go to ER for nausea and diarrhea?

What are your symptoms for which you are suspecting Guillain Barre?

I went to the ER like 10 days ago, along with my mother as we were both really sick, for the lower abdominal pain and diarrhea. They gave me a flu test, where that stick a swab up your nose, and that came back negative.

Lower abdominal pain and diarrhea indicate either a viral or bacterial gastroenteritis.

The initial management is as following;

1) PeptoBismol

2) Lomotil; may only be given if the diarrhea is vigorous.

3) Gatorade / Pedialyte

4) Plenty of fluids

5) BRAT diet; banana, rice, applesauce, toast. Vegetable broths / vegetable soups, coconut water also can help.

6) Probiotics

The primary aim is prevention of dehydration and electrolyte imbalance. If the diarrhea loss of fluids is too much or you are unable to drink enough liquids; you may need antibiotics and / or intravenous fluids.

Guillain Barre syndrome starts with weakness of lower limbs which gradually go up and may involve whole body.

Please read the symptoms;

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/guillain-barre-syndrome/symptoms-causes/syc-20362793

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

I would be happy to assist you further, if you need any more information.

Thanks for using Just Answer.

Was this information helpful to you? I would be glad to answer any further questions.

It is privilege assisting you.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.

Please consider a positive 5 star rating if this interaction has been satisfactory, as this is the only way we experts are credited and compensated for the time and work. You are not charged again for giving a rating.

The rating button is on the left upper side of this thread.

You can continue to ask questions after positive feedback.

Thank you.

Wishing you all the very best in life.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-rate-answer-hl

Stay blessed.