Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

If very conservative dose of Milk of Magnesia is used the…

Customer Question
If very conservative dose of...
If very conservative dose of Milk of Magnesia is used the night before at just 30ml for a 95 lb person, what does that do the following morning if there was no bowel movement even with a suppository the following morning? This was done as a preventive to soften the exit of "potentially" large or dry stool and "potential pain" of the stool passing over the hemmoroids. Can you tell me why there was no bowel movement yet i saw a little piece of stool coming out of the anus the size of an M&M which i had to wipe off but nothing else followed before going to bed that night. So a whole 24 hours passed between the MIlk of Mag and the suppository 12 ours earlier and NO BM.... IS the dose of Mlk Mag too conservative and should have been 60ml ?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/7/2018
Doctor: Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD replied 4 months ago
Sumanth Amperayani
Sumanth Amperayani, Board Certified MD

Hi...Welcome to Just Answer. I am Dr. Sumanth Amperayani and I am here to help you today. I have 13 years of experience in the field of Health Care at a tertiary care referral hospital in Chennai, India. I will do my level best to alleviate your health concern. I am currently reviewing your question. I will be back in a moment to guide you further.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth Amperayani

Hi...I understand your concern.

But I would like to know the strength of Milk of Magnesia you are having with you so that the appropriate dose can be suggested please. Is it - 400 mg/5 mL or 800 mg/5 mL?

The appropriate dose is - 60 mL/day of (400 mg/5 mL) strength or 15-30 mL/day of (800 mg/5 mL) strength taken orally at bedtime or in two divided doses.

You can wait 24 hours after this dose. If, with the above suggested appropriate dose there is no bowel movement, then I am sorry to suggest that enema may be an option.

" I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (this is the only way we professionals get credited for our time and professional effort). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know.

A bonus is highly appreciated....Thank you!".

If you are happy with my interaction and guidance, next time if you have any health concern, you can approach me directly at the following link please -

https://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-drsumanth/?rpt=3800

each 15 ml contains 1200 magnesium hydroxy

Hi..that means the strength medicine you have with you is - 400 mg/5 mL.

You need to take 60ml of this preparation per day please.

Why isn't 30 ml enough?
i want to know what is happening in the intestinces

Hi...any medicine will be effective only if given in the appropriate dose and especially so with laxatives as they need to form the stools and bring in water or draw water in to the intestines.

That is why for an adult 30ml may not be effective as the medicine's action will be substandard.

You are having constipation and there can be many reasons for it.

The most common being - less water intake, high milk intake, low fiber diet and excessive non-vegetarian diet.

But in elderly individual who never had constipation - sudden onset of constipation or altered bowel habits may signify rectal neoplasm.

Suggestions:

1. Natural methods are the best to relieve constipation.

2. Maximum milk consumption per day should not exceed 300-400ml

3. Minimum 3-4 cups of fruits and vegetables to be consumed per day

4. Minimum 2- 3 liters of water intake per day.

We are mediterranean so we always had high fiber in the diet. We don;t consume much milk nor even cheese execpt if it is a good deal in the store, SO we rarely have dairy, Occassionally i get goat kefir and we consume a few tablespoons in blueberriesm

Hello...

1. When was your thyroid status last checked?

2. Is there any dryness of skin recently and are you feeling any cold intolerance?

3. May I know your age please?

4. How long have you been constipated now...I mean is it recent onset?

5. Is there any family history of constipation?

6. Is there any family history of colorectal carcinoma (sorry for asking, but I need this information to guide you professionally, not meant scare) ?

I will be waiting for your answers please.

Kind regards ***** ***** Sumanth