Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have a pain right above my breast near my armpit on the…

I have a pain...

I have a pain right above my breast near my armpit on the right side. How do I know if this is serious?

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

It started yesterday.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

High blood pressure

Answered in 1 minute by:
3/6/2018
Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor

Hi Melissa. Have you ever had this before? Has there been any trauma or injury to the region? What is your age?

No ingury. No trauma. I’m 51

Does the painful area look and feel normal to you when you push on it?

as far as I can tell

Underlying the breasts are the pectoralis muscles. They run up the front of the armpits and attach to the shoulders. They can easily become strained from strenuous physical activity with the arms or heavy lifting. Do you recall any such activities in the days prior to this starting up?

I keep my grAndson & take aerobics. How would I know if it were something serious?

To rule out something serious, you would want to have the area examined and get a mammogram or MRI.

Could it be heart or stroke related? Symptoms?

The heart is on the left in most people, and heart disease is usually associated with other symptoms, so this is very very unlikely. A stroke would not cause such focal pain or weakness, so you should not worry about this as well.

What would symptoms be if it were a stroke? Or leading up to a stroke?

Stroke is usually associated with certain risk factors such as HTN, diabetes, smoking, etc. When a stroke occurs, the onset is typically rapid and involves weakness or loss of function in a limb or one side of the body. There might also be numbness or tingling, trouble with speaking, swallowing, balance, vision, etc.

Thank you

You're welcome. Hope all works out for the best for you.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Let me know if you have any additional questions, Melissa. I would be happy to help further.

If your questions have all been answered, a positive rating would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Doctor-Bob

Please don't forget to provide a positive rating. This is the only way I get credit for the time spent helping you.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.

Doctor-Bob

Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor