Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

For a time now I have been inhaling food tablets and drink…

Customer Question
Hi there for a...

Hi there for a long time now I have been inhaling food tablets and drink into my lungs (Aspirating) and chocking and having difficulty swallowing for a long time. But have recently started coughing up more phlegm than usual an rusty brown coloured phlegm, I have been told to watch out for pheumonia. Due to my current condition. But it is also very painful to breathe in and out it hurts in my chest and top of my back, but that has been happening for a long time now. I have severe narrowing of my esophageal passages. Could any of this be a sign of esophageal cancer? Or would it just be severe reflux which has caused scaring and my nerves to die? Thanks.

Doctor's Assistant: Are you keeping a personal medical record while dealing with this?

No

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I also have svt and ankylosing spondylitis

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Medical
3/6/2018
Doctor: Dr. David, Board Certified Physician replied 4 months ago
Dr. David, Board Certified Physician

Hello, this is Dr. David. I am reviewing your question now and will be with you momentarily.

how old are you?

you need more testing to find out why you are aspirating foods and liquids into your lungs. this shouldn't be happening

you should consult with an ENT doctor ear nose throat doctor who can look a your throat and vocal cords

they should order barium swallow evaluation testing for you to see why liquids in your mouth is going into your lungs

it should go down into your esophagus and stomach when you swallow.

Hi im 41,and I've had the barium swallow test, and am waiting for a camera down the throat, so they have said the nerves have completely died the ones used to let food into your stomach, so I am aware of what's sort of going on, i guess my worst fear is cancer, but also pheumonia, as I'm also on humira
Hi I'd rather not a live phone call as I'm actually situated in Australia
Hello are you still there? Or is that the end of our conversation?

that looks like a blockage in your esophagus. the contrast is not showing up in the middle part of your esophagus.

you need an upper endoscopy to look down your esophagus and see what is blocking the contrast there in the middle