Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I'm wondering what might cause a false negative for

I'm wondering what might...

I'm wondering what might cause a false negative for hydrocodone in a urine test, and if a blood test should be more accurate?

Doctor's Assistant: Is this a time sensitive issue? What type of specimen are they testing?

What do you mean by what specimen are they testing?

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

No, I don't think so.

3/6/2018
Dr.Sawhney
Dr.Sawhney, Doctor

Welcome to justanswer.I am Dr.Sawhney and your complete satisfaction is my goal.I am reviewing your question and I would respond shortly.

Dr. Scott, Doctor

Hi there,
I am Dr. Scott - it is my pleasure to assist you today.
Please give me a minute to review your question and type up an answer.
Please note that the answer provided is for information purpose only and does not substitute a Doctor - Patient Consultation in Clinic

The best test would be a MS/GC test to confirm.

Are you taking hydrocodone, but there was none found in your urine?

That's correct. I don't know what type they originally used, but they said they did "confirmatory testing", so I'm assuming that was the MS/GC. Nothing was found.
Has this ever happened before? Have you had testing to see if you’re a fast metabolizer?
This has happened twice before, and I was only just informed that it's a problem. I assumed nothing was showing up because I (presume I'm) a fast metabolizer and because I drink a lot of water and exercise a lot, which my research has shown can contribute to false negatives. I'm meeting with my doctor on Monday - she wouldn't refill my monthly supply because that was the third test where nothing showed up, and said she may discontinue my opiod therapy entirely. I've been doing research before I went to talk to her and wanted to get a personal second opinion from another doctor before I go see her - this website looked like a good option. Would blood tests show the hydrocodone if I'm a fast metabolizer, or is there a better alternative?

Why are you taking hydrocodone?

You should be able to wean off of it and not have any issues. If you want definitive answers, you can get a genetic screening - your insurance will pay for. It will tell you which opioid you are most sensitive to you in which one works the best.

I've had back problems for years - without medication, there are days it's so bad I can't get out of bed. It's what works best after trying many, many different alternatives. The genetic testing sounds like a good idea. Can you tell me if blood tests are more accurate than urine tests for detecting the presence of an opiod?
They are both very sensitive.
This still doesn’t answer my question. If the factors I’ve explained are causing me to metabolize the hydrocodone too quickly to detect in a urine test, will it show up in a blood test, or does metabolizing things quickly affect blood the same way? If so, what test do you use to detect it?

Yes, exactly. You will not find it in the blood if you do not find it in the urine.

The test that is used is GC/MS.

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Do you have additional questions?

If not please send five stars.

Dr. Scott, Doctor