Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Would you get asthma testing for my 8 year old son. His

Hello, would you get...

Hello, would you get asthma testing for my 8 year old son. His eosphills are 10 percent

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

Eosinophills are 10 percent, sed rate 36. Neutrophils are 53 percent and abs eons is 0.81

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

My son is 8 and he has a lot of food allergies and eczema and dog and cat allergies. Lately he has been sweating while he sleeps

3/5/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified pediatrician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please, has your son ever had an episode of wheezing? Any inhaler or nebulizer medication use in the past?

Hi, the past 2 times he has been sick it turned into walking pneumonia. With a breathing treatment and inhaler

I see, thank you for that information. With the history of multiple food allergies, eczema and pet allergies (which explains the elevated eosinophil count) your son is at increased risk for asthma. Assuming you have an ongoing relationship with an allergist, you should be able to request formal testing for asthma with what is called a pulmonary function test (PFT). Basically your son would need to breathe into a tube which is connected to a sensor linked to a computer to determine if he has any decreased lung function and if it is reversible with a breathing treatment. Most allergists do these tests in their offices. Otherwise, you can request that your PCP refer you to a Pediatric Pulmonologist, or lung specialist, who definitely can perform the PFT's.

Can I answer any other questions for you today?

Thank you! Yes I have an appointment with his allergist it’s Just along time away! Thank you.

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD