Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

What is the best way to taper off gabapentin? I've been

Good afternoon,What is the best...
Good afternoon,What is the best way to taper off gabapentin? I've been taking 600mg 3x daily for mood disorder. I've never had previous mental health issues until December 2017 - when a family dr prescribed Xanax .5 mg 3x daily and Ambien 10mg for sleep as needed. After being on this toxic mix for 5 weeks, I had to check myself into a center to get off the drugs - cold turkey. I survived the withdrawals but was put on gabapentin and effexor xr. Its been 2 months and I want off these drugs.I am so upset. The doctors just put you on this stuff and then leave you out there to fend for yourself. My family dr. isn't qualified for psych meds. I do have an appointment in 4 days with a psych nurse practioner who will hopefully be able to get me off these drugs. While I still have health anxiety due to TMJD, I've heard horror stories about tapering off both these drugs. I am a highly functional business woman going thru tough times.Please provide your professional assistance.
3/6/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

I would like help today.

effexor is going to be harder to get off actually

How would one safely taper off both at the same time? Or do you do one first then the other?
also could effexor cause tinnitus?

effexor causes tinnitus. yes.

I would taper off one then the other.

which one do you need less?

The gabapentin
Dr Phil,Could you explain how you would taper a patient off Effexor XR - in a safe way? The dosage is 150 mg. Time taken - 9 weeks

I would reduce to 75 mg for 2 weeks then reduce to 37.5 for 2 weeks then stop

is this helpful?

Thank you for your recommendation.

welcome :)

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you, and that I have earned my 5 star rating today.

Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen ( rating me now does not close your question).

We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!

Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor