Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Has a major drug test in 9 days. He has a valid rx for

Hi SO has a major...
Hi SO has a major drug test in 9 days. He has a valid rx for NorcoAte a few edible candies aboutmonth agoAnd had about 7Days of using 1mg Xanax at night to slope. No Rx that. At home drug
Test failed for Benz, opiates, oxy ( he doesn’t take oxy?). Switched brands today and failed for
Those three and thc? What do we do? And will is Norco rx make him not fail that one ? He fails this test he’s banned from every working there again after 13.4 years. It’s once and a lifetime promotion. But not failed drug test.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Norco daily with valid rx
Xanax no rx last pill used Tuesday night was using daily to sleep
Had some edibles 3-4 weeks
Ago
Take zzzquil and melatonin nightly to sleep. Other then that’s that’s it.
3/5/2018
Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I looking forward to assisting you with your question and providing excellent service. The edible candies are likely the cause of the positive oxy. The benzo is due to the xanax of course. And the opiates due to the norco. He will need to disclose the norco and present a valid prescription, but hes going to fail the drug test, most likely. Due to drug use . There’s nothing you can do to change it
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Why would a edible from a month ago they wasn’t taken consistently only on occasion show up ok oxy not THC??
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also why isn’t the Xanax out of his system how long do both those things take to come out it not like it was a addiction issue and taken daily. I’m confused.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Also someone said since this is a mouth test it doesn’t test farther back then 4 days
Well you did not say it was a mouth test at all. A urine test can go back several weeks in patients taking daily narcotics. I have no idea what was in the edible. The xanax is out of the system, its the metabolite they test for which stays much longer. And if hes using xanax with no prescription and taking illegal drugs, hes an addict. I’m sorry
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks for that but that’s not what I was asking. If he was a addict or not or for u to pass judgement. I paid to ask questions and get answers not judgement.
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello. This is Dr. Love.

Is the test that will be done in 9 days also going to be a salivary test? Or will it be a urine or hair test?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr d it’s a saliva test. We now have a Rx for Xanax and Norco from his doctor. But he ate edible
Chocolates last month I thing those are showing in his pee test still.

Very good.

There are several issues that are pertinent in this situation.

The most important, though, is that the rapid tests are notoriously inaccurate, whether done on saliva, urine, or hair. There are many common over the counter medicines that can cause false positives, and even in someone that is not taking any over the counter or prescription medicines, there are a fair amount of false positives. For example, one of the common medicines that can cause a false positive for THC are the various anti-inflammatory medicines, including the over the counter ibuprofen and naproxen.

There also is a significant amount of cross-reactivity, so any opiate can not only cause a positive for the general test for opiates, it also can cause a false positive for tests for specific opiates. So, the hydrocodone in the Norco can cause a positive result for opiates as well as a false positive result for oxycodone.

It is also possible that false positives could be due to various foods or herbal preparations, but these are not as well studied as the medicines that can cause false positives.

Since there is such a high incidence of false results, every positive result on a rapid test should be confirmed using a more accurate test, such as GC/MS. For this reason, the rapid test is also called a screening test, and the more accurate test is called a confirmatory test. Of course, this is not practical for home testing, but in any organized drug testing program, whether for employment or for other reasons, any positive screening test should be verified using a confirmatory test.

If he is certain that he has not recently used oxycodone or marijuana, then he can be confidant that the confirmatory test will be negative for these substances. It will, of course show the hydrocodone amd Xanax and the metabolites of hydrocodone and Xanax, particularly hydromorphone. Hydromorphone is also marketed as a primary drug with the brand name, Dilaudid, but someone taking hydrocodone will also have some hydromorphone in their system. Since he has prescriptions for these products, these positive results will typically not be an issue.

I asked about the type of test that will be done to discuss how quickly the Xanax will typically be undetectable, as it is vastly different for saliva, urine, or hair, but if he now has a valid prescription for Xanax, that is no longer an issue.

Is there any additional information that would be helpful?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
How long does saliva test typically go back ?

It varies according to the drug. Saliva is very close in paralleling the levels of the drug and metabolites in the blood.

For a short acting opiate, such as hydrocodone, it will typically only be positive for a day or two. There also is not that much variability in the half-life of hydrocodone.

Xanax has a longer half-life, so can readily be detected for 3-4 days. However, there is also a large amount of variability in the half-life of Xanax. The average half-life of Xanax is about 11-12 hours, and a similar period of time for its major metabolite. It takes 5 half-lives for the blood level of the drug to get to 3% of the peak level (one half-life gets down 50%; the second half-life gets down to 25%; then 12.5%; then 6.25%; and then 3.125%). However, the range of half-lives in individuals can vary from as short as 6 hours and as long as 26 hours. It is very few individuals that have a half-life of 24-26 hours, but in those people, the salivary drug test will be positive for twice as long (about a week), solely because the half-life is twice as long in that individual than the average half-life.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
for THC and swabs ? Thank I for this I appreciate it.

THC is more complicated, because the drug accumulates in the system in people that use marijuana more often. After a single use of marijuana, THC is detectable in the saliva for a relatively short period of time, typically less than a day. As people use marijuana more often, the period of detection is greater, and in chronic users, THC can be detectable in saliva for up to 7-8 days.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Dr. D. Love, Doctor