Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Ive been prescribed 1mg lorezapam for alchol withdrawal.

Hi. Ive been prescribed...

Hi. Ive been prescribed 1mg lorezapam for alchol withdrawal

Doctor's Assistant: What are all the symptoms you're experiencing (e.g. loss of appetite, fever, rash)?

None of those. Just shakes and high heart beat and panic so far

Doctor's Assistant: Do you know if your family has a history of heart disease? In general, how would you describe your health lately?

My mothers side does have a history of heart disease

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

After alcohol abuse for months and a test, the only abnormality was ldl cholestrol of 130 and uric acid of 7

3/4/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello from justAnswer. This is Dr. Love.

It is unclear what question you are asking about lorazepam for alcohol withdrawal.

How can we be of assistance?

I am asking that how do I use both a taper of symptoms before I can drink socially again.
I had a ativan today. Maybe ill have pne later at night if I get symptoms
Similar thing tomorrow
But on tuesday i have to go out to a gathering so need to drink
How can I do this safely. Also i have to go out on Friday

The experts at JustAnswer cannot advise people how to use controlled substances over the internet. You should be taking the lorazepam as prescribed by your doctor. However, we can comment upon the usual method by which lorazepam is prescribed.

The usual recommendation when using lorazepam for alcohol withdrawal is that you need to completely abstain from alcohol intake. Most doctors would not prescribe lorazepam to be taken at home for alcohol withdrawal if the person intends to continue drinking alcohol.

I would also note that it is a fallacy for someone to say that they "need to drink" in any social situation. When someone is having alcohol withdrawal at a level of severity to warrant the use of lorazepam to treat the withdrawal, then the usual approach is a prolonged period of abstinence.

I understand that. But I relapsed occasionally say once or twice then what would be the consequences? I just know I wont hold out too long. I am trying to and goal is to go whole week without alcohol. But I want to know what happens if I fumble a few times during.

If you know that you cannot hold out at the social situation, then you should not attend the social situation.

Resuming alcohol intake can precipitate further withdrawal, and the withdrawal from a combination of lorazepam and alcohol may be worse than the withdrawal from alcohol alone. Another risk if you drink with lorazepam in your system is excessive sedation and all the problems that can occur from excessive sedation (car accidents, falls, etc.).

Another potential consequence of drinking would be an altered approach by your doctor. If your doctor prescribed the lorazepam with the understanding that you would not drink alcohol, and then learns that you had alcohol intake, then your doctor may refuse to ever prescribe lorazepam for you to use at home in the future, so that you will make all of your future episodes of withdrawal harder on yourself.

I see. Thanks for your help. I will try my best.

You are very welcome.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Dr. D. Love, Doctor