Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Love I had question regarding love bite on neck area with…

Hello Dr love I had...
Hello Dr love I had question regarding love bite on neck area with just bruising no bleeding afterwards .. I was concerned about hiv risk with this . She was masseuse in parlor with no sex absolutely.
Thank you
3/4/2018
Dr. D. Love, Doctor

Hello again.

If there was no break in the skin to cause bleeding, so that only bruising was present, then there would not be any risk of HIV transmission.

There is no reason for concern over this situation and no need for testing.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
If I have missed bleeding then am I at risk for hiv ?? I thought love bites are not the way how hiv is transmitted
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Aren’t love bites only get exposed to saliva ?? Which is not a risk factor for hiv right ??

You would still see a break in the skin, and if there is no break in the skin, then there is no risk.

A human bite that breaks the skin carries a small risk. In reality, the bite, itself, is not a risk and there also would need to be something else, such as bleeding in the mouth (for example, from gum disease). But if there is bleeding into the partner's mouth and then a bite that breaks the skin deep enough to cause bleeding, then there is some risk.

I was posting my answer when you added your second comment. Yes, that is correct that saliva is not a risk factor, which is why there would need to be something else, such as bleeding into the mouth.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All I can see is bruise and it was not painful and she didn’t have bleeding from her mouth. I have read some literature on love bite that they are not how hiv is transmitted. Do I need testing based on this encounter ??

If all you can see is a bruise, then there is no break in the skin. So, there is no risk and no need for testing.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sir break would be seen as ? As I am not able to see anything or recognize the break

It can be seen as many things, such as a puncture wound or a cut in the skin.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
All I can see is one wound which is superficial but is not painful and I didn’t see any bleeding after wards and she was not bleeding from mouth at that time

Then there is no risk.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry to bother u but the literature that I have read for love bite everyone is saying that saliva is non infectious and I got scared because of skin break and puncture wound terminology. Suppose if I have skin break and I failed to recognize, but if she was not bleeding from mouth then would it be a risk factor for hiv ??

Then it would not satisfy the situation that I described above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do I need to get tested based on this or am I at risk factor for hiv for this if she is not bleeding considering the fact that I may have failed to recognize the skin break or puncture wound ??

You do not need to be tested.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for replying sir one last question do love bites cause hiv in any scenario if other is not bleeding from gums or of bleeding is present but not visible ??

The only scenario is what I said above.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you so if skin break is actually present then would have been an issue if I am getting it right. But I think skin bite would have hurt me. From what I have understood is that skin break would have been a risk. But I am confused whether do I have the skin break or not

There needs to be all of the characteristics that I noted above for there to be any risk. A break in the skin alone would not be sufficient.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Characteristics like her bleeding at the time with skin breakage or portal of entry into blood in me ??
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor

Hello and welcome to JA. Dr Saleem here. Will be answering you shortly

Went through your conversation with the previous expert. As he very rightly said there is essentially minimal risk of HIV transmission in such encounter only possible if she had a bleeding wound or cut or a sore in her mouth and she bitten you into your skin causing a cut or wound or break in skin which could lead to viral transmission.

So if you are sure you didnt get a wound or cut at the bite site then its almost impossible for you to have contracted HIV.

Even with the cut or wound the risk is in 0.001 % range so just relax.

Let me know if you have any more queries

Let me know if you have any more queries.

Pease reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you sir for replying back , I am just concerned about skin cuts and as far as I know she was not bleeding from mouth and I didn’t notice any bleeding from the bruise.

Saliva doesnt spread the virus so if she didnt have any bleeding or open cut / sore releasing virus into the saliva ( thus contaminating it) then no risk of HIV here , you can relax

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you for replying back sir , I was just concerned as I really didn’t notice any bleeding gums and I am worried about missed skin cuts or wound

Yes no bleeding gums / cuts / wounds in her mouth means no virus in her saliva so even with minor cuts on your skin no risk of HIV.

Hope your queries have been adequately addressed.

Please reward credit for the consult by clicking 5 stars in rating corner of your page if you are satisfied.

Stay blessed.

Regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you sir but she didn’t have frank bleeding at the time I haven’t checked for minor bleeding spots

As i said the type of encounter you had has almost neligible theoretical risk of HIV. You dont even need to get tested for HIV in such scenario

Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem
Dr.Saleem, Doctor