Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

How quickly can the cancer cells spread for a patient with…

Hi Jennifer, how quickly can...
Hi Jennifer, how quickly can the cancer cells spread for a patient with pancreatic head cancer? E.g. two to three months. Would it have made a difference to have diagnosed it earlier or later? (Now it has spread to the abdomen)
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/4/2018
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor

Hi, this is Dr Phil, here to assist you. I am Board Certified with over 10 years of experience. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Hello. Thank you for your patience. I am so sorry for the long wait, but I have been busy taking care of patients and have just now come online. Would you like my help with your question today?

OK sure, can you answer the question? Thanks.

They can spread within weeks

they are generally very aggressive

is this helpful?

hypothetically, if a patient has been diagnosed with the terminal pancreatic cancer in March, is there a possibly that it would not have spread to the abdomen, had he found out earlier in January?

very very unlikely

it probably would have spread by then

For a 82 year old, wouldn’t the age speed things up though?

No, not really

cancer actually grows slower in the elderly

Thanks for this question I strive for 5 star service for all customers. If you have more questions, just reply. :)
Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor