Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have been dealing with what i believe is costochondris and

I have been dealing with what i believe is costochondris and wonder can it cause swelling in under sternum
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: I did have a recent to the bottom of the rib cage and went to the doctor cause felt a lump under the sternum and by the time my appointment was it was gone and now is back and ribs are sore to touch around sternum. Have been physically active last two days climbing ladders and driving semi bouncing around in it
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I do not

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually, costochondritis can certainly cause all of your symptoms including the lump that you felt underneath the sternum which could have been because of swollen soft tissue in the region. Costochondritis is essentially inflammation of the cartilages of the ribs but sometimes that inflammation can spread to involve the muscles in the region as well as the tendons. This would explain the soreness around the ribs as well as the lump.

Now in most cases of costochondritis, simple anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen at a dose of 400 to 600 mg thrice daily would be enough to control the problem. using them for a period of 14 days should resolve the problem, however in severe cases, steroids may be needed, both oral and injectable. Also, i would recommend that you avoid physical activity for the next two weeks which can worsen the situation.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the reply i had hit the area on accident at work and wasnt very active for a week or so and it was better then yesterday the lump was back after climbing ladders and bouncing around in a truck at work. And it became sore to touch and lump is back

Use the ibuprofen which should help in reducing the inflammation and at the same time I would advise applying ice on the area for 10-15 minutes at a time up to 5 times a day. Also, OTC capsaicin gel would be useful as well. With these remedies, the problem should be resolved within a week or so. if it worsens then you should see your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.