Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

Have a question about Menierre's Disease. I have had it for…

Have a question about...

Have a question about Menierre's Disease

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

I have had it for more than 30 years, and am 88 and on a variety of meds by the doctorl

Doctor's Assistant: What medications do you take daily? Are you allergic to any medications?

No allergies. I take amitryptiline, cholecalciferol, chlorthalidone, levothryroxin, magnesium oxide, and omeprazole.

3/3/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. Im sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Please ask your question regarding Meniere's disease and i would be happy to help you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I was diagnosed as Menierre;s Disease over 30 years ago. For the first ten years or so I had violent episodes, and lost a large part of my hearing. I have no hearing in the other ear. All during this time I had days when my hearing was better than others. In the last twenty years I have lost all of my hearing, but have just left that I can use a hearing aid. All through these years I've had days when the hearing aid didn't help, but I never knew when it would happen. Sometimes it would stay that way for a few days, and then it would come back. Lately it is running longer periods when I will be deaf for a week or so, then the hearing will come back for a week or so. The question I have is if this is the Meniere's still acting up. I have doctors here who have treated me through the years, but could never give me an answer why it does this. I do try to watch my salt intake. Other than this and arthritis I am a pretty well 88 year old.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Sorry... don't have much luck with the phone and my deafness.

Thanks for the additional information, let me just write down an answer for you and ill get back to you in a few mins. If you get a phone call request, that is an automated site response. I DID NOT send it. Thanks!

Actually, the transient appearance of deafness can be the consequence of fluid build up inside the ear because of your Meniere's. It is possible that the fluid builds up intermittently and causes pressure on the inner ear leading to the transient development of deafness. When the excess fluid is reduced with the use of your medications the hearing returns to normal. This is the most likely scenario here, the second possibility is that the years of having the disease has caused some degree of damage to the nerve which controls your hearing. This damage may be amplified when the fluid pressure increases.

But given that the episodes are increasing over time then it could indicate that the problem is worsening and at this point in time you may need surgery to correct the Meniere's disease. Given the frequent episodes of hearing loss, i think a complete evaluation of the hearing should be done again concentrating on the nerve side of things. If menieres is determined to be the cause of the intermittent hearing loss then we can consider surgery such as,

• Endolymphatic sac procedure. The endolymphatic sac plays a role in regulating inner ear fluid levels. These surgical procedures may alleviate vertigo by decreasing fluid production or increasing fluid absorption.In endolymphatic sac decompression, a small portion of bone is removed from over the endolymphatic sac. In some cases, this procedure is coupled with the placement of a shunt, a tube that drains excess fluid from your inner ear.

• Vestibular nerve section. This procedure involves cutting the nerve that connects balance and movement sensors in your inner ear to the brain (vestibular nerve). This procedure usually corrects problems with vertigo while attempting to preserve hearing in the affected ear. It requires general anesthesia and an overnight hospital stay.

But as I said we should ALSO look into other causes for the hearing loss as well and sensorineural hearing loss should be considered as a possibility. There is a possibility of external compression occurring on the vestibulocochlear nerve (which is the hearing nerve) and that could be the problem here. If the hearing tests don't reveal the problem then an MRI of the brain would help to determine if any compression is occurring on this nerve at all.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank You for your information. This give me a lot to think about. Too old for surgery, but at least I know what may be happening. Many thanks to you.

You're welcome, I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today, do remember to rate me by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Dr. Muneeb Ali on JustAnswer" wrote:
I'm not sure what I did wrong, but I did get your information and even printed it out, and SO grateful for the information you gave me. I think it answered my question about my unstable hearing situation and I will share it with my health provider when I see them again. I find it difficult to deal with my problem because other than ENT doctors no one is very knowledgeable about Meniere's. The ENT doctor I had for thirty years retired and I miss him of course, but I never got as much information as you have given me. He probably thought I wouldn't understand it all, and maybe he was right. I am very sure he did the endolymphatic sac procedure at one point. It was a very difficult surgery for me, but was done so long ago I don't remember whether that made a big difference in my hearing problem. I think I still had the vertigo episodes then. I had a hard time getting on my feet again after that surgery, but I was prescribed amitriptyline and that helped. I am still taking that.Sorry this is so long, but I feel for the first time that I understand what is going on and am very grateful for you. My immediate thought is that I need to control my soldium intake more than I have been doing. I like the spicier meats like hot dogs, sausage and ham, but am going to limit or eliminate them from my diet and see if that makes a difference.Many, many, many thanks!
Marion Corliss
Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Last night I contacted you re a medical problem and received excellent information from a doctor. Can't remember his name. I don't know if I handled it right, and want to be sure he received my thanks and a five star, which he more than deserved. Can you check?

Doctor's Assistant: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?

No...I don't need help. Just have a question.

I got the rating and the very kind words you left for me, I really appreciate them. Thank you so much! It made my day knowing that I helped you!
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor