Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I had some blood work done and just got the results back. Is…

I had some blood...

I had some blood work done and just got the results back. Is a EOS (Absolute) number of 1.9 a cause for concern. I don't have asthma, and don't feel like I'm currently suffering from any allergies. Thanks

Doctor's Assistant: In general, how has your health been lately?

I do have high blood pressure and am on medication for it. I also have been spotting between periods. I went to my Obgyn for a routine check and she was concerned about the spotting, so I went in for ultrasound and they found the lining of my uterus to be thicker then normal. They then took a sample of the lining. Haven't gotten any results back on that. Not sure it's related anyway. In the meantime, my ob sent me in for the bloodwork.

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Not that I can think of

3/2/2018
Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD

Hello my name is***** am a board-certified physician with over 15 years of clinical experience and I am happy to help you. Can you tell me please do you have any history of asthma/wheezing, eczema or food allergies? Do you ever experience seasonal allergies at all, even if not currently?

No asthma, eczema, or food allergies. I do get seasonal allergies, but not currently experiencing any symptoms.

Thank you for that information. EOS = eosinophils, a type of white blood cell that makes up your immune system. Very high EOS are seen in cases of severe allergic reactions, asthma or parasitic infections. Since you do not have any of those, and your absolute EOS though elevated, is not very high, there's no need to be concerned. EOS can sometimes be mildly to moderately elevated with seasonal allergies, even in the absence of any symptoms.

Any other questions I can help with.

No I think that answered all my questions

You are very welcome. If you have no further questions, please accept the answer by leaving a 5 star positive review. Thank you and have a great day.

Richard Han
Richard Han, Board Certified MD