Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have numbness in my hands and burning sensation also.

I have numbness in...

Doctor's Assistant: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?

Several months. Sometimes I experience numbness in my hands and also have a burning sensation in my feet. I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Diabetes runs inmy family. Father, brother, son. Also stroke and cardiovascular disease.

3/2/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali

Welcome to JA and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. From what you are describing it sounds like that you may have developed a condition known as peripheral neuropathy. This is a condition in which there is damage to the nerves of the limbs. The damage to the nerves can occur because of a number of underlying causes which can include diabetes, autoimmune diseases, thyroid disorders, nutritional deficiencies, infections or even toxins among many other causes. This would cause the burning as well as numbness and may even cause shooting or stabbing pain in the region. The diagnosis can be made very easily by doing an NCS/EMG test which would be diagnostic. AT the same time, various tests would need to be done in order to determine the exact underlying cause such as Hba1c for diabetes, thyroid function tests, autoimmune tests like ANA, ESR, CRP and an ENA profile among others. At the same time, you should be started on medications like Lyrica or Neurontin which can help in reducing the symptoms.

I would suggest that you contact your doctor and have him look into these possibilities.

Do you have any more questions?

I sincerely ***** ***** I have helped you and that I have earned my 5-star rating today! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen (rating me now does not close your question). We can continue here until you are satisfied, simply use the reply box and let me know. Thank you!. You can also ask questions from me directly by going to the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you. Your response has been helpful. I will definitely contact my doctor to discuss these symptoms with her.

You're welcome, I hope I have earned a 5 star rating today, do remember to rate me by clicking on the stars above your screen as that is how we are compensated for helping you today. Any BONUSES would be well appreciated!

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor