Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have bad pain when i move in my lower ribs on my right…

I have bad pain...

I have bad pain when i move in my lower ribs on my right side and frony front top of my right leg in the joint .to my grurn area , so bad I can hardly walk side rib cage can't touch.

Doctor's Assistant: What seems to make the symptoms worse or better? Have you noticed any swelling?

Move or strech , roll over in bed or to lay on my side

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

I had a abcess on my right kidney in 2017 cause from kidney infection that stemed from a kidney stone that had lower right pole blocked . had lots of treatments but could not remove the stone it is 11mm and is in the very bottom of my kidney right pole now , my leg is bad too I also have l5s1 disk buldge

3/1/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm sorry to hear about your symptoms. From your description it looks like that you could have pain due to one of a couple of conditions. The first one is that you could have developed another infection in the kidney which is causing the pain. This can lead to pain in the back which also radiates down into the groin. It can also cause a fever and urinary symptoms. It is also possible that the pain is due to the stone which is again obstructing the flow of urine. In either case you will need a CT scan of tbe abdomen to confirm the situation along with urine tests. If previous non invasive methods have failed to remove the stone then you may need open surgery to remove the stone. In the meantime you should start using otc ibuprofen at a dose of 800 mg thrice daily.
Secondly thus pain can also be due to a combination of your lower back issue along with a severe muscle spasm. This would cause this sort of severe pain which radiates to the groin. Usually a muscle spasm is due to dehydration along with an electrolyte imbalance and that is why it is important to increase the intake of water along with electrolyte rich fluids like Gatorade. Additionally the ibuprofen would help here as well. But i think muscle relaxants like flexiril as well as tinazidine are necessary in cases severe as yours. If the disc bulge has worsened then you may need steroid injections to get better.In short the pain that you have can be due to your pre existing issues and if the ibuprofen does not help at all here then immediately proceed to the er. Pain which is unresponsive to otc pain medications usually indicates a serious issue which should be evaluated in the er.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today
Thank you I was wonering if it could be liver related also ?
Since it starts from the back of the ribcage and goes down into the groin, it is less likely to be due to the liver. Liver pain does not radiate down into tbe groin and usually is not this severe.
Do you have anymore questions?
Dr. Muneeb Ali