Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

I have been suffering from lower back pain for about a year…

I have been suffering...

I have been suffering from lower back pain for about a year because of deadlifting. I tried to take a rest and stop training but nothing helped. I visited a doctor and did a back x-ray he said my back bones were fine. He told me to do a ct scan or a mri scan but I could not afford it

Doctor's Assistant: Have you had any recent injuries? What seems to make the pain better or worse?

Yes, lifting heavy objects. Sudden movement gives me a sudden acute sharp pain. Also, training or lifting objects gives me a pain in my back. Sometimes waking up of my sleep i find myself in pain and i struggle to wake up. I have to sleep in my back everyday. Cutting on physical activites makes my pain better but it does not solve the problem it is always there when ever i start doing any activity again

Doctor's Assistant: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?

Nope, not anything that I can think of.

3/1/2018
Dr. Muneeb Ali
Welcome to Ja and thanks for this question. I'm very sorry to hear about your symptoms. Actually it sounds like that you may have developed a disc prolapse in the back. The spinal bones are held together via various joints and in between two bones is a soft piece of cartilage which is the intervertebral disc. Sometimes during physical activity this disc can slip forward or backward and start compressing the spinal cord itself, which is present within the spinal bones. This would the cause sharp stabbing pain in the back or even down in the legs. Usually this diagnosis would be missed on a simple xray and a mri is necessary for this to be diagnosed.
Usually this can be corrected with physiotherapy in most mild cases however more severe cases would need steroid injections along with possible surgery.
But right now i would suggest that you start using otc ibuprofen at a dose of 400 mg thrice daily, along with application of topical capsaicin gel as well as supplements likeglucosamine and chondritin sulfate.
But unfortunately a mri is necessary here to determine the exact cause because without an mri, we cannot start you on the exact treatment necessary.
Do you have anymore questions?
Please remember to leave a positive rating as that is how we are compensated for helping you today

Would you like to know anything else? Any clarifications or additional questions that you might have, i would be happy to answer them for you. If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Dr. Muneeb Ali
Do I have to use ibuprofen if I am not suffering from pain the whole time (I only suffer from it sometimes in a day which I can tolerate since I have it ages ago).