Medical

Have medical questions? Ask a doctor online!

Ask a Doctor,

UTI, elderly women; can someone have leukocytes and nitrites…

UTI, elderly women; can someone...
UTI, elderly women; can someone have leukocytes and nitrites in their urine at over 100,000 ct yet be symptom free? Meaning their urine contains ecoli and all the other bad bacteria, yet they show no negative behavior or physical symptoms. If so, why is that? This is a general question.
3/1/2018
Dr Su S
Dr Su S, Doctor(MD)

Greetings,
Thank you for your question.
I am Dr. Su S
I will try my best to help you.
I will answer in a moment/request for further information.

Please wait.
I am writing the answer.

Thank you for your patience.
UTI can be present without any symptom.
It is more common in the elderly.
That can be from weak immune system.
Immune system can work less effectively in this age.
There can be neurological issues like dementia, past stroke which can blunt pain & other sensation.
Those can impair their ability to localize symptoms.
I hope this information will be helpful.
If you have any query, please feel free to ask.
Your satisfaction is my goal.
If you are happy with my answer please click on 5 star rating so that I can get the credit for helping you.
Wish you healthy life.
Regards.

That is not answering my question. THere are no symptoms. The only thing that appears is bacteria count above 100,000 but no symptoms typical of UTI

Yes, there can be no symptom from that causes.

I am not understanding the answer.
Maybe i need to reword the question..
If a positive urine culture shows over 100,000 ct of bacteria but the person has no behavior symptoms and no health condition, is this possible?
Dementia is a symptom, as is neurological disorder, as is a weak immune system and being a stroke victim.
What i mean is this; can there be over 100,000 ct of bacteria in a person that has no disease or health condition like dementia, or stroke or neurological disorder or weak immune system.

How old is she?

It is a general question so for young people as well as elders. Frail or not frail.
Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor

Dear customer,

Thank you for the question.

This is not possible and with a healthy body and immune system, there will always be an inflammatory reaction to the presence of an infectious organism which will cause obvious and prominent symptoms.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
It will be very generous of you to also consider a bonus.
Thank you!

But will positive bacteria just be passing through and not colonizing and that is why there are no symptoms? Maybe the bacteria is getting flushed out fast enough so it does not take over the bladder? I read there is asymptomatic UTI always and that is very common.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Asymptomatic bacteriuria (ABU) is different from asymptomatic UTI. ABU is common and not alarming, however, asymptomatic UTI is concerning and not the usual response of the body. There are always symptoms when there is an abnormal pathogenic bacteria in the urinary tract and the body will react to the presence of the bacteria.

Take care.

Please let me know if you have further queries or unanswered questions.
Thank you!

Dear customer,
Were you able to read my answer?
Did I answer your question? Please reply.
Thank you!

Dear customer,

Please rate the answer with 5-stars, by clicking the 5-stars above

with your mouse (or with your finger on a mobile device).
Thank you!

Im not asking about "Asymptomatic bacteriuria". . So my understanding is that there are NO elderly people that are walking around with a positive Urine culture for bad bacteria totalling over 100,000ct that happen to be displaying zero symptoms of any kind? It is not possible. THat is what you are saying correct?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, there are no healthy elderly people who are walking around with a pathogenic bacteria in their urine without any symptoms. This is because a person with a healthy immune system will always mount an attack against the abnormal bacteria which will cause prominent and obvious symptoms. So, if there are no symptoms then the cause for the lack of symptoms need to be found out and can be due to an immune disorder causing diseases such as diabetes or immunodeficiency.

Take care.

Thank you!

Shouldn't leukocites be positive if the bad bacteria is also positive on a urine dip test? They are always negative. Yet bacteria is always positive.

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, in most cases leucocytes are positive and these are the white blood cells which help in mounting an attack against the bacteria. So, if they are not present then further workup needs to be done to know why the immune response is not occurring even in presence of the abnormal bacteria.

Take care.

Thank you!

Can it be possible that the bacteria are present, but they get flushed out faster than causing an immune responce? Or the bacteria is there but it is killed off by certain heral preperations

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

No, this is not possible since if there are bacteria in the body at any time then there will be an immune response in a healthy person. The bacteria will be killed by immune cells of the body and when there is killing then there will be symptoms.

Take care.

Thank you!

to better understand you, as soon as there is ecoli in the body, the immune cells will kill it ? All of it and any other bad bacteria until there is none left?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, with an abnormal bacteria like e-coli in the body the immune cells will definitely start the process of killing and getting rid of this bacteria.

Take care.

Thank you!

I have been reading that the body can live just fine with all the bacteria in it. As long as the immune sustem can hendle it

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

This is not true. You cannot live with pathogenic and harmful bacteria which will destroy the tissues and organs if they continue to live in the body.

Take care.

Thank you!

34;E. coli is a crucial microflora organism in the human that helps with the absorption of Vitamin K "
http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2008/moder_just/interaction.htmhttp://worldofenzymes.info/probiotics/escherichia-coli/
i will continue tomorrwo thank

Dear customer,

You are very welcome!

E.coli is an abnormal bacteria in the urinary tract. Also, there are many types of E.coli and we were discussing the abnormal pathogenic E.coli.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with 5-stars.

Thank you!

abnormal pathogenic E.coli is a bacteria that is never in humans bodies in a controlled quantity?

Dear customer,

Thank you for replying.

Yes, abnormal pathogenic E.coli can never co-exist in a healthy human body without eliciting a strong immune response and prominent symptoms.

Take care.

Thank you!

Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor